Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 833990 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6330 on: June 29, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »
Pen's rebus yesterday had me stumped for a while; one of the best yet; I had to look up the names of the Teletubbies, then it fell into place.

A screen goddess of the 1940s; star of many a 'film noir'.

two words -- 8/4

picture 1 - the last three letters of the nearest town
picture 3 - lose the final 's'
picture 4 - any of them will do

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: June 29, 2021, 06:31:08 PM »
Pen's rebus yesterday had me stumped for a while; one of the best yet;

Hi Pen,

That's well-deserved praise. He twigged my rebus immediately yesterday. I struggled with his again today but when you finally get it you can only appreciate how well it is constructed.

Thanks for getting your rebus in early.  It allowed me to get the spoilers in before I went to bed last night.  I had to get Snowy over to Mt Gravatt (50minutes away) by 7:30 this morning for his first big service (12 months or 12000 KM).  As I was driving back about midday, I heard on the radio we are going into a 3-day lockdown from 6 PM tonight.

In the 17th century, a European monarch instructed that all cannons constructed in the country would have a Latin motto inscribed on them.  That Motto was

#6   #5  5(#2  #3)

Picture 3.  Ditch the last 3 letters.

Translated into English that is

3  #4    8#  2  #5

“the” and “of” are not pictured

[   

Picture 1. ditch the first letter.

I've gotta disappear faster than a fart in a fan factory
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:37:57 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: June 29, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »
Pen's rebus yesterday had me stumped for a while; one of the best yet;

That's well-deserved praise. He twigged my rebus immediately yesterday. I struggled with his again today but when you finally get it you can only appreciate how well it is constructed.

Thanks for getting your rebus in early.  It allowed me to get the spoilers in before I went to bed last night.  I had to get Snowy over to Mt Gravatt (50minutes away) by 7:30 this morning for his first big service (12 months or 12000 KM).  As I was driving back about midday, I heard on the radio we are going into a 3-day lockdown from 6 PM tonight.

Hi Jack

It's great to be able to flummox you & Mike & the praise is appreciated :)  I've got Mike's for today after a few false starts.  You were quite correct about is being very cleverly constructed.  You have me a bit baffled with your rebuses but I'm going to leave it for a little while & go back to it.

I can't believe you've had Snowy for a year!  Time flies!  I read yesterday about the possibility that you may be locked down.  Hopefully it is just for 3 days.

My rebus is a film from 1966.  Going to try & be a bit sneaky >:D  It'll probably backfire :laugh:

#9 #2 #3 #4

Getting busy & I might forget to press "post" :laugh:  Nearly lunchtime so...

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: June 30, 2021, 04:39:34 AM »
Hi Again Jack

It had been my intention to return after lunch but time ran away with me & I had a dentist appointment at 3 so I failed miserably ;D

I just about solved the second part of your brilliant rebus.  I have to admit that I was stumped by the Latin version!  I expect Mike will have got it :)

Going to search for a few words then flop in my comfy chair  :-Y

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: June 30, 2021, 07:50:20 AM »
Hi Pen,
As we cannot associate with other people in the dog park, there is no rush to get out this morning.  So I will give you a simple rebus.

It is the first line of an 18th Century Poem about a Robinson Crusoe type happening at the beginning of the Century.

“of” not pictured.  Conceptually one line.

#1  #2   #7  2   #3  #1   #6

Pictures 2 and 4.  Ditch the first letter.
Pictures 1 and 5. Use only the first letter
Picture 3.  Regulars should be familiar with this picture.

I am going faster than a Bondi tram.
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: June 30, 2021, 10:43:59 AM »
I know the line and I know what he is writing about, but I'm b-----d if I can remember the name of the poet!
Never mind. I have a very good dictionary of quotations.

A bit bleary-eyed this morning having stayed up to find the England v Germany score, so a very straightforward rebus.

A jazzman, active from the mid 1950s to the mid 1970s; the older of two brothers, neither of whom, unfortunately, is still with us.

two words - 10 /8

picture 4 - the actor's first name.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: June 30, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »
Hi Jack

Another busy morning on the fracture clinic.  I enjoyed your rebus & managed to get it fairly easily :)  Mike's rebus has me baffled for the moment!  I don't know much about jazz but I'll have another bash at it a bit later on when it's quieter :)

My rebus is the opening line of a book published in 1948.  Don't think it'll give anyone too much of a problem!
#1 #5 #4 #6 #2 #3 #7 #4

INTHE
Please rearrange the letters of picture 3.  You're not interested in the rather cute French chef in the fifth picture >:D  Please pretend it's all on one line.

Nearly lunchtime thank goodness :-H  Hoping for a bit quieter afternoon.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:36:26 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: July 01, 2021, 09:49:12 AM »
Short and sweet.
You are looking for a man's name - the hero of a series of books and later of the TV progs. based on those books.

just two words 4/5

picture 1 - this city in Abu Dhabi loses one of the letters in its name
pictures 2-4 - three meanings of the same word

add an 's' and you're there

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: July 01, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »
Hi Mike,

I read (listened to) the first 22 of that series before I lost interest.  It might be time to give him another try.  I thought the books were better than the TV series.

P.S.  I just looked into my Kindle and Audible records and find that was back in 2015.  I have 5 to catch up on but reviews on Book 23 are very mixed. 

Have you read any lately?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:20:45 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: July 01, 2021, 10:53:58 AM »
Hi Pen,

Start with a bit of fun

My rebus today is an early 90s song by an Irish rock band.

10(#3  #3  #1  #3)  #4  Pictures conceptually on one line.

This should be relatively simple but I am hoping it will be a bit more difficult to spot the tenuous connection to my rebus yesterday.

I don’t suppose this is another area of your hospital
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: July 01, 2021, 03:52:14 PM »
Hi Jack. I caught up on that series of books last year...thank you Covid-19.
The Redland City Library has the later ones...and they're mostly available at the moment...although I have just joined the queue for #27...thank you for the heads up on the new release.
Some are available  as audio books. I quite enjoyed reading the books last year. It had been a while since I'd  read any of the series...maybe that helped.
I have #1 through to 19 plus stand alone Caedmon's Song if you come across anyone (locally) who wants to read the early ones. They're in a box in my spare room waiting to be dropped off at the Rotary  Club Book Shed. 
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: July 01, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
G'day Jack

It's Friday tomorrow & I'm feeling fairly smug that I've got both rebuses & it's only just after 9am :laugh:  I haven't managed to suss out the tenuous connection to your previous rebus.  I loved your bits of fun - especially the second one.  I looked at the patients in the waiting room & really laughed to myself >:D  If that really happened it would be hilarious.  Though not if you were the patient!

My rebus is an artist & an album from 1975.  I think this will be really easy peasy :laugh:
#3 #5

#5 #2 #3 #6
THE
Please lose the first letter of the second picture.

Leave you with a little smut & silliness>:D 
It's getting busy so better get
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:53:27 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: July 01, 2021, 09:39:30 PM »
Hi Moyra,

Down in Mittagong, we had four large bookshelves of books.  When we decided to come north we decided we would give most of them to charities.  It turned out that charities were overloaded with books and weren’t interested.  We managed to offload about 10% of them to friends.  We both could not bear the thought of good books being dumped at the rubbish tip and so we brought them with us.  We have managed to give a few to neighbours here but we still have quite a few.

We have multiple books by Ian Rankin, Donna Leon, Jacqueline Winspear, Martin Walker, Kate Atkinson, and more.  If you would like any of these, they are yours.  They are mainly the earlier ones in the series because we do almost all of our reading on kindle or listening on Audible.  I will gather some of them together and photograph them as you may have already read most of them.

I am also interested in your rotary club book shed if they would take some off our hands.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 08:31:17 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack