Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 870999 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11160 on: June 16, 2024, 08:53:22 PM »
Hi Carol,

The Lizard is a monitor.  Happy to give more but I don't expect it will be necessary.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: June 16, 2024, 11:32:49 PM »
Hi Jack

I've done a few chores and been for a constitutional.  Great picture  :)  Looks like it's T-shirt weather in San Francisco!

My rebus today is a song released in the 1990's.

#3 #4 #2 #6 #4 2 #2

What is the character eating in picture one? You need the third word and lose the third letter. Picture two is five letters. Please lose the last two and make a homophone. Please change the vowel in picture three. You could possibly describe picture four in two words. Three and four letters.  Please merge the two words and lose the second letter.  You need the last two letters of picture six and position is vitally important.

That's all from me.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 11:34:34 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: June 17, 2024, 09:02:23 AM »
Thank you Pen and Jack  all sorted

Carol

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: June 17, 2024, 07:52:00 PM »
Hi Jack

These Mondays come round a bit quick  :laugh: 

My offering today is a film from the 1960's.

6 (#3 + #3) 2 #3 #4

You need the surname of gent in picture one - first three letters only.  Please ignore the bangers in picture four and use the first four letters of what you're left with.  Position is of the utmost importance!

My work friend Jane just leaned across the desk and asked "Can you name a country with no R in it?"
I looked at her and said "No way!"

That's all from me.  Roll on lunchtime  :-H  I've got a cheese and tomato cheesy topped roll. 

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: June 18, 2024, 03:38:00 PM »
Please ignore the bangers in picture four and use the first four letters of what you're left with.

Hi Pen,

I learnt something new when solving your rebus.  I now know that a toad-in-the-hole! is a classic British dish that combines sausages with a giant classic British County pudding.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 03:39:54 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: June 18, 2024, 03:55:15 PM »
  "I now know that a toad-in-the-hole! is a classic British dish that combines sausages with a giant classic British County pudding". Thanks Jack, now I too know that!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11166 on: June 18, 2024, 06:36:07 PM »
I now know that a toad-in-the-hole! is a classic British dish that combines sausages with a giant classic British County pudding.

Being a lass from the British county in question, I'm a dab hand at those puddings, tho' I sez it missen.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: June 18, 2024, 07:15:24 PM »
Being a lass from the British county in question, I'm a dab hand at those puddings, tho' I sez it missen.

... and grand as owt it is an all.  Onion gravy? 

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: June 18, 2024, 08:05:04 PM »

I'm REALLY hungry now   :-H    :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: June 18, 2024, 11:34:09 PM »

I learnt something new when solving your rebus.  I now know that a toad-in-the-hole! is a classic British dish that combines sausages with a giant classic British County pudding.

Hi Jack

I don't know why, but I did think you had toad-in-the-hole in your neck of the woods.  I would highly recommend it.  It's quite easy to make although the British County pudding can be a challenge if the batter's not quite right and the fat's not hot enough.  I made one for my Dad (a native of that County!) years ago when Mum was away.  I used full fat milk in the batter (no semi-skimmed in those days) instead of part milk and part water.  When I got the pudding out of the oven it was flat, floppy and stodgy >:D  A total disaster  :laugh:

Sorry, no rebus today as the day's running away with me. 

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: June 19, 2024, 04:24:01 AM »
I don't know why, but I did think you had toad-in-the-hole in your neck of the woods.

HI Pen,

A quick sleepy reply.

The term “toad in the hole” can refer to different dishes depending on the region.

Let me break it down for you:

American Toad in the Hole:

In the United States, “toad in the hole” typically means an egg cooked in the hole cut out of a piece of bread. Here’s how you can make it: Cut a 3-inch hole in the middle of a slice of bread and discard the cut-out portion. Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a small skillet and place the bread in the skillet. Crack a large egg into the hole in the bread. Cook over medium heat until the bread is lightly browned (about 2 minutes), then flip and cook the other side until the egg yolk is almost set. Season with salt and pepper. This fun egg-in-a-hole is a simple and delightful breakfast option

British Toad in the Hole:

In Britain, “toad in the hole” refers to a different dish altogether: It consists of sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding batter. The sausages are nestled into the batter and baked until golden and puffy. It’s often served with onion gravy and veggies. Yorkshire pudding is similar to popovers in the US or Dutch baby pancake.

Australian  “toad in the hole.”

While it shares the name with the British classic, it has its own twist: This version is a delightful combination of sausages and eggs. Here’s how you can cook the eggs: Cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread using an egg ring or wine glass. Start frying the bread in a buttery pan and crack an egg into the hole. Flip each slice over after two minutes and cook for another minute. Fry the center circles in butter and add them to the plate to mop up the runny yolk. It’s a simple yet satisfying breakfast or brunch option

So, whether you’re craving the British, American, or Australian version, there’s a “toad in the hole” for everyone!

I do the Australian version in an air-fryer, which I am forever grateful to Moira for recommending one to me. I often cook bacon and chips with the egg.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 08:36:53 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11171 on: June 19, 2024, 04:36:13 PM »

Absolutely!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: June 19, 2024, 07:11:14 PM »

Australian  “toad in the hole.”

While it shares the name with the British classic, it has its own twist: This version is a delightful combination of sausages and eggs. Here’s how you can cook the eggs: Cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread using an egg ring or wine glass. Start frying the bread in a buttery pan and crack an egg into the hole. Flip each slice over after two minutes and cook for another minute. Fry the center circles in butter and add them to the plate to mop up the runny yolk. It’s a simple yet satisfying breakfast or brunch option

So, whether you’re craving the British, American, or Australian version, there’s a “toad in the hole” for everyone!

Hi Jack

I'm REALLY REALLY hungry now  :-H   Your version sounds scrummy and I could quite happily scoff it now   >:D

I would ignore cultural differences at my peril  :laugh:  I actually thought we'd had a discussion about toad-in-the-hole ages ago and you had a similar dish to ours.  I'm probably confused and getting mixed up with something else.

I'm off to fracture clinic after lunch so I hope to return with a proper post later on.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: June 20, 2024, 12:03:50 AM »
I'm Back Jack

I'm gearing up for my afternoon stint on fracture clinic.  Hoping it's not going to be too hectic.

My rebus is a television series from the 1970's which I remember enjoying very much.

12 (#8 + #4) #5

I would possibly refer to picture one as a 'bob'.  Present tense for picture two please.  For picture three you need an alternative word for mouldy - five letters.  Please move the first letter to the end.

I had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: - 'No good in a bed, but fine against a wall.'
- Eleanor Roosevelt

My neighbour Jan was at Luton Airport waiting by the carousel for her luggage.  As she was waiting she noticed that all the other bags much were better than hers.

It was… the worst case scenario.

Not long to go now :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: June 20, 2024, 09:12:05 PM »
Hi Pen,

Another great rebus. I couldn't get it but Andrew and June combined to get it in about 10 minutes.  It had about 6 episodes in 1980-1.  I don't think it ever got to Australia.

The Cleveland mob had a couple of nights in Las Vegas after visiting Yosemite National Park and Death Valley on the way.

I am currently on a binge reading spree of Brian Freemantle's Charlie Muffin Series.  I can recommend it if you like the genre.

Regards, Jack