Author Topic: Always a moment I can’t wait for…  (Read 238 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Always a moment I can’t wait for…
« on: March 08, 2024, 07:06:27 PM »
When I’ve failed to earn a rosette I simultaneously look forward to and dread the turnover moment for the solution to see what I’ve missed. If it’s something like BUSBIES in last night’s ten letter Grubbiness puzzle I don’t mind because I don’t think I would have ever found that!
First pink lady flowering in my backyard this summer

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Always a moment I can’t wait for…
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 07:37:00 PM »
Ditto, Jacki!  Although I do rather resent the inordinate amount of time I wasted looking for a word that would never have occurred to me in a million years!

jem01060

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 02:44:26 PM »
I've been playing the ten-letter puzzle pretty religiously since sometime in 2018 and have only received five rosettes. What is your strategy for obtaining, day after day, the precise number of words required for a rosette? How do you so studiously avoid uncommon words? I play them all the time and, at first, don't even know that they are (held to be) uncommon.

When I first started playing, I used to consult the OED and wound up learning quite a few obsolete words. But I don't do that anymore.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 09:41:15 PM »
This is my strategy learned from many different approaches. Firstly if you’re not sure about a word, don’t play it. If it is an anagram of other common words and you’re not familiar with it, it’s probably not common. Wait until you’re down to the last two to three common words outstanding before taking any risks.
A few years ago Mike (Mkneuk or similar) told me that Chihuahua was predominantly about anagrams, but not completely of course. You need to have a good memory and walk away and come back with fresh eyes - quite often it comes to you in the car, the shower or your dreams. But certainly repetition and failure help.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 04:53:19 AM »
When I’ve failed to earn a rosette I simultaneously look forward to and dread the turnover moment for the solution to see what I’ve missed. If it’s something like BUSBIES in last night’s ten letter Grubbiness puzzle I don’t mind because I don’t think I would have ever found that!

Heh, I live in the UK, where the Busby is a celebrated piece of headgear worn by the Coldstream Guards ringing Buckingham Palace, and I would have probably missed this too ... :)

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 08:00:16 PM »
Well I think begrime has to be added to the busbies list for mine! Only 14 played it from over 200.