Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 835692 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9990 on: September 03, 2023, 04:38:55 AM »
Why thank you kind Sir :)

Going to search for a few words then decide what film would be suitable to accompany my pink muck :laugh:

Penx

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9991 on: September 03, 2023, 06:27:06 AM »
The first thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was that well known idiom often attributed to George Bernard Shaw, although I could not find any source that was willing to offer proof of this. 

"England and America are two countries divided by a common language". 

The idiom could equally apply to the U.K. and Australia or the USA and Australia or, for that matter, notable regional differences in any of those countries.  This might be worth further discussion.

I thought of that idiom as I was writing! I've also heard it ascribed to Churchill. It certainly could be applied to all sorts of 'Englishes' and might make for an interesting discussion — but it can be difficult to know which words one thinks of as 'normal' are strange for other English speakers!!

A jumper is an outer garment, usually of wool, for the upper part of the body; can be a pullover; sweater; jersey; or guernsey.
June was no help.  I asked her if she knew another Aussie word for a Jumper and she said Kangaroo.

That made me burst out in laughter (glad I wasn't drinking!) — best laugh in awhile.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9992 on: September 03, 2023, 07:03:45 PM »
My puzzle today is a drink.

When I was a young'un, we used to be able to buy jugs of the stuff from the Falls Creek Hotel during winter - even with the seasonal trade, they used to go through more Galliano than any other pub in Australia!!!  :-P :-P :-P  >:D >:D >:D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9993 on: September 03, 2023, 07:19:24 PM »
My puzzle today is a drink.

Absolutely love this drink!  When we were in Madeira our hotel had a cocktail bar attached to it and they made the most wonderful (better hadn't reveal the answer in case anyone is trying to work out your rebus) and the barman used to carve out fishermen, dolphins and the like out of fruit to perch on the edge of the glass - heavenly!  :angel: >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9994 on: September 03, 2023, 08:31:32 PM »
That sounds amazing Linda :)  I do too though I haven't had it for more years than I care to remember.  Bit like John by the sound of it :laugh:  Be great to try it again. 
I've got a cheese and tuna sarnie to toast for my lunch today :-H  Not sure it was the best idea in this heat  :laugh: Least my washing will be dry in no time!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9995 on: September 03, 2023, 09:21:09 PM »
Hi Jack

It's shaping up to be a scorcher today.  Is that another word unique to us I wonder?  I've pegged my washing out and been for a walk.  Apart from retrieving my washing I'll be skulking indoors :laugh: They're forecasting 27oc and sunny for the rest of the week.  Barely warm for you I suspect :laugh:  I'm off to Trent Bridge on Tuesday afternoon with my cricket cronies for a 20/20 against the Kiwis :)  Can't wait!

My rebus today is a bit of a very famous poem.

#2 #3 #3 #4 #4 #7 3 8 (#3 + #5)

&

Please use two consecutive letters from the middle of picture one. Please change the first letter of picture three and lose the first and last letters of the golf tournament in the last picture. You need the second word in picture five and change the third letter.  Please combine pictures seven and eight.  Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

My lunch is calling me :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9996 on: September 04, 2023, 06:42:56 AM »
My rebus today is a bit of a very famous poem.
You need the second word in picture five and change the third letter.

Hi Pen,

A very clever rebus. I think it is the third line of the second stanza, but I am having a bit of a problem decoding picture 5.  Perhaps ditching the last letter of word 1 and making an anagram would be an easier alternative.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 07:39:57 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9997 on: September 04, 2023, 08:20:12 AM »
It's shaping up to be a scorcher today.  Is that another word unique to us I wonder?

Nope. The label scorcher for a hot day is something I learnt as a lad.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9998 on: September 04, 2023, 03:44:41 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Jack 27/8
Pen 27/8
Pen 28/8
Jack 29/8
Pen 29/8

Jack 1/9
Pen 1/9
Pen 2/9
Pen 3/9
Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9999 on: September 05, 2023, 12:44:31 AM »

A very clever rebus. I think it is the third line of the second stanza, but I am having a bit of a problem decoding picture 5.  Perhaps ditching the last letter of word 1 and making an anagram would be an easier alternative.

Hi Jack

Sorry for the confusion!  I was trying to change the word wish to with.  Glad you sorted the rest out ok :)

It's very boily hot here today :(  Car said 30oc.  Barbs and I have been for a walk in Howe Park Woods and then had some lunch in the Nut & Squirrel which is opposite.  BLT baguettes with salad and scrummy chips.  Very good it was too :)  I'm back home and skulking indoors.

A simple little rebus today - shouldn't give you a headache.  It's an expression.

#3 #4 2 1 #5

A
Please ignore the badge in picture one.  You need three consecutive letters (of seven) of what remains.  Position is vital.

When I bumped into my neighbour Andy this morning he told me he thinks his wife has been putting glue on his antique weapons collections.
He frowned and said "I'll stick to my guns!"

Need a drink and a small snooze :-Y

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10000 on: September 05, 2023, 11:31:21 AM »
Sorry for the confusion!  I was trying to change the word wish to with. Glad you sorted the rest out ok :)
A simple little rebus today - shouldn't give you a headache.  It's an expression.

Hi Pen,

The confusion was my fault.  I didn’t consider all the possibilities.  I assumed the answer was in the picture and the words I came up with was white wine.  It didn’t occur to me that the second word you mentioned was in the text of the picture.

A good rebus.  Thank you for the concern about my headaches.  >:(

My rebus is an idiom that expresses one of the important criteria when you are undertaking a task requiring meticulousness and great concentration, for example building a house of cards.

3 #3  #3  #4  #4  #5

The        

Picture 1.  One word (5).  Make homophone.
Picture 2.  One word (5) Also known as the magpie Lark. Discard first and last letters and make homophone. An alternative spelling is with 6 letters.  In this case Discard the first 2 letters and the last letter.
Picture 3.  One word(5) past tense.   Discard the second vowel.
Picture 4.  One word(4).  Replace the first letter with “y”
Picture 5. Two words (5, 5).  Use second word.

P.S. A scorcher in Australia is generally acknowledged to be in excess of 35oC  (95oF.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:08:53 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10001 on: September 05, 2023, 09:20:45 PM »

The confusion was my fault.

A good rebus.  Thank you for the concern about my headaches.  >:(

My rebus is an idiom that expresses one of the important criteria when you are undertaking a task requiring meticulousness and great concentration, for example building a house of cards.

P.S. A scorcher in Australia is generally acknowledged to be in excess of 35oC  (95oF.)

Hi Jack

I'm gearing myself up for the cricket this afternoon/evening.  I've got sun cream and a titfer that I borrowed from my neighbour. The temperature in Nottingham later is a measly 26o:laugh:

Sorry about the headache comment  :(  Just meant I thought it would be fairly simple to solve.

That was a great rebus :)  It took me a while to wrestle it into submission and then I had to check with Ms Google that I'd got it right as I'd never come across it before.

Here's a couple of silly puzzles for you.   A couple of my favourite people.  One I might bump into this afternoon and one I definitely wont!

#3 + #4

Please use the first name of the gent on the left in picture one and change the first letter of picture two.

#5 + #5

Please use the first name of the gent in picture one and change the first letter.

Better sort myself some lunch and get ready to rock and roll :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10002 on: September 06, 2023, 11:56:17 PM »
Hi Jack

Had a very enjoyable time yesterday :)  It was a great match but sadly the Kiwis got the better of us!  Journey home was a nightmare as the junction we needed on the M1 was closed.  Lots of blue lights so presume there'd been an accident.  It was gridlocked with cars and lorries and we had to make our way, at snail's pace, to the next junction down :(  Quite late home and very glad I didn't have to be up early this morning!

My rebus is a funny expression that Zoe messaged me this morning.  She's supposed to be working in the office this week.  It's off the hospital site in the centre of Milton Keynes.  She works two weeks at home and a week in the office.  Somebody hadn't renewed their parking permits and this was her response when I asked her if she'd got to pay a parking fine! She's very happy to be working from home.  The office is huge, open plan and very noisy.  Even in the depths of winter the aircon is on full blast :(

#3 1 #3 2 #5 6 (#2 + #4

AIN
Please lose the first letter of picture three, the first three letters of picture four and the first letter of picture five.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.  Sorry forgot to say please ignore the dog in picture two!

I'm trying to decide if it's too hot for a cuppa :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:36:38 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10003 on: September 07, 2023, 07:57:37 AM »
#3 1 #3 2 #5 #6

Please lose the first letter of picture three, the first three letters of picture four and the first letter of picture five.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.  Sorry forgot to say please ignore the dog in picture two!

Hi Pen,

You have got me completely bamboozled with your rebus.

June suggested an answer, but it would only work if the word count and clues were

#3 1 #3 2 #5 6(#2 #4)

Please lose the first letter make an anagram of picture three and insert an apostrophe,
 lose the first three letters of picture four and the first letter of picture five.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.  Sorry forgot to say please ignore the dog in picture two!

This post is probably too late to catch you before you hit the sack, so I'll also put out a call to friends for suggestions and I will get back to it after I have a poppy nap.  :D
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #10004 on: September 07, 2023, 09:47:53 AM »
Please lose the first letter make an anagram of picture three

It's plural Jack, so ditching the first letter works just fine as far as I can see.