Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 835237 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10485 on: January 10, 2024, 12:18:21 AM »
Quite understandable. I have the advantage of retirement! I go clear the car when I feel like it!

Sounds good TRex!  and you don't clear have to clear the car if you don't feel like it or don't have to go anywhere  ;D
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: January 10, 2024, 01:01:48 AM »
Now, stop worrying about having OCD (old, cranky and dangerous) and just enjoy the ride!

Hi Moyra,

As always, I will take your advice
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: January 10, 2024, 01:29:00 AM »
I hope you enjoyed your celebration earlier  :-*   Are you sharing more details?  >:D

Hi Pen,

I will do that by sharing an except of one of my earlier posts.

On the personal front, I was living in a hostel which had regimented dining arrangements. If it was Thursday, you knew steak was on the menu. Times for meals were limited and if you were late you missed out. You were allocated a table which you were expected to sit at for each meal. Consequently, you saw a lot of your table mates.   I was with 3 other blokes at my table and we had just about exhausted every respectable avenue of conversation and even the bawdy stuff was getting boring.  I was talking to a rather shy academic over coffee in the communal lounge after dinner one evening when he confided that he was a trifle embarrassed being at a table with 3 very attractive young women. My reaction was “geez, mate, ya gotta be joking, I’ll swap you”.  You can see I was quite articulate in those days. He reluctantly agreed.  I felt guilty because he would be totally incompatible with my yobbo mates but I was looking forward to a change.

I tried to get to every meal and flirted outrageously with each of the women.  I had the feeling that 2 of the women liked the attention but one didn’t. She made it clear my behaviour was gauche and unimpressive.  Her name was June. June was(is) a mentally strong, competitive woman who doesn’t shy away from a challenge. I think she decided she could turn me into a reasonable and acceptable human being. We were engaged in March, 1964.  My parents thought their prayers had been answered but not all parties were so positive. Her parents were opposed because I was nominally Catholic and they were fervently Protestant. Her friends told her she was taking on a lost cause and “it won’t last”.   June won’t be told she can’t achieve something by anyone(especially me) and we were married in January, 1965.  So far it has lasted 53 years and she still has a long way to go to get me to achieve the standard she would like.

Wedding Photo
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:36:54 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: January 10, 2024, 03:07:42 AM »

I will do that by sharing an except of one of my earlier posts.

Wedding Photo

I'm back Jack

I started my post before yours popped up so I've started again.  I do remember your original post back in 2017 and I did wonder if it was your anniversary but I couldn't for the life of me remember exactly when it was  :-R  What a smashing picture  :)

A fairly simple rebus today.  It's a book and a film.

6 (#5 + #1) #3 7 (#3 + #3)

You need the character on the right in picture one and lose the last letter.  Please use the first three letters of picture three and the first four of picture four. Any one of the dashing gents in picture five (four words) You need to lose the first three letters of the first word.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.

Nearly home time thank heavens.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 06:32:40 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: January 11, 2024, 12:33:44 AM »
I did wonder if it was your anniversary but I couldn't for the life of me remember exactly when it was  :-R 

Hi Pen,

You had better set yourself a reminder because if June can put up with me for another year, the next one will be a big one.

I liked your rebus.  We watched a Roald Dahl story on TV tonight and I thought it would make a good rebus but despite having a 3-hour poppy nap this afternoon, I haven’t got the energy to tackle it.  Perhaps tomorrow.  It was the title not the story that attracted me.  I am not a Roald Dahl fan.

And I’ll leave you with this.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: January 11, 2024, 06:16:07 AM »

You had better set yourself a reminder because if June can put up with me for another year, the next one will be a big one.

Hi Jack

I've been very lax today!  I wasn't sitting at either my normal reception desks today so I couldn't automatically sign in and I didn't want to go to the bother of re-setting my password.  I've got a very busy day tomorrow but, hopefully, I'll make up for it on Friday  :)

I've set my reminder and if I win the lottery before next January I'll book a cruise and come and join you both to celebrate your next anniversary :)  That's an amazing milestone - after all these years I think June can put up with you for another year  :laugh: Perhaps she'll get a medal  >:D  My elderly relies in Oxford have just celebrated 67 years married  :o  They were married the year I was born.

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: January 11, 2024, 10:00:21 AM »
Happy 59th to the bride & groom.

Hats off to June & Jack

Chihuahua’s beloved First Couple

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: January 11, 2024, 12:15:15 PM »
Hi Paula,

Much appreciated.  We wouldn't lay claim to being Chihuahua's first couple, but we may well be the oldest.  We've never put it to the test.   Any contenders?
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: January 12, 2024, 12:21:50 AM »
Hi Pen,

I’ve been having a bit of lower back pain which has interfered with my overnight sleep and I have been making up with afternoon poppy naps.

But as Promised

3 9(#6 #3) #5 2 #5 #5

The   of  

Conceptually one line.
Picture 1.  Two words. Use the first one.
Picture 2. Use homophone.
Picture 5.  Use polite euphemism.

And here' a bonus

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: January 12, 2024, 02:30:48 AM »
Hi Jack

So sorry to hear you're struggling with back pain. There's nowt worse.  Barbs has struggled with her back for over 50 years.  She's fine for ages and then back it comes with a vengance. Have you seen a doc or chiropractor or anybody?

Zoe and I are having our Christmas presents today!  We're having a rather lovely massage.  Zoe's having hers at the moment so I've got about an hour to complete this.

I've got most of your rebus but I'm struggling with the last word.  I can only think of impolite euphemisms  :laugh:  >:D

I thought you might enjoy a Barbara Cartland novel for my rebus  ;D

1 #5 2 #5 5 (#4 + #1)

A
You need the nickname of the gent in picture one and change the last letter.  Please use the first name of the American athlete and bung an extra letter on the end. Position is of the utmost importance.

My neighbour Richard, who lives across the road, was moaning earlier as he'd been sacked by Boeing...
Oh well as one door closes another one open!

I enjoyed my bonus Pickles today  :)

Must dash - it's my turn now!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:36:35 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: January 12, 2024, 11:35:28 PM »
I thought you might enjoy a Barbara Cartland novel for my rebus  ;D
Have you seen a doc or chiropractor or anybody?

Hi Pen,

I did enjoy your rebus but as you well knew, I have little time for the genre that was its subject.

I have consulted doctors and physios over the years and basically the answer is to get lots of exercise and build up your core muscles.  NSAIDs can be quite effective, but my doctor is very reluctant to prescribe them.  He believes the risks are greater than the rewards. Certainly it flares up when I spend too much time sitting, particularly in non-ergonomic chairs.

And I'll leave you with this

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: January 13, 2024, 02:46:07 AM »

I did enjoy your rebus but as you well knew, I have little time for the genre that was its subject.

Hi Jack

So "no" to Mills and Boon then?  >:D  :laugh:

It's another chilly grey day here.  The car said 5oc when I drove to Barbs' earlier.  I did get quite excited as the sun came out.  After barely 10 minutes it had gone  :( 

My rebus today is a 1970's TV series and one episode.

7 (#5 + #2) #3 #5

Please make a homophone out of picture two and lose the first letter.  You need the first name of the character in picture four and change the first letter.  We're all on one line.

#4 5 (#3 + #2)#4

Please change the first letter of picture one.  You need the first name of the gent in picture three and lose the middle two letters.  Please ignore Piglet in picture four and, again, it's all on one line.

That's all from me.  Going to have a cuppa and a small poppy nap  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: January 13, 2024, 07:01:14 AM »
Spoiler Alert for Puzzles Between 7-12 January

Puzzles 7-12 January

Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: January 13, 2024, 07:49:00 AM »
After a very mild and nearly snow-less December, we've had a lot of snow. Got about 6½ inches the other day, some melt-off, then about 5 inches last night which has changed to a very light sprinkle (so relatively mild temps — currently 1°C/34°F) but supposed to change back to snow and get another 4 to 8 inches followed by some cold temps: -8°C/18°F tonight with steady-to-falling temps through Saturday and Sunday to a Monday morning low of -24°C/-11°F and a Monday high of -18°C/-1°F. (Tuesday is supposed to be even colder!) Thus....

I have the advantage of retirement! I go clear the car when I feel like it!

bringing up the exception to clearing the car when I feel like it. Were I to leave the car alone, the combination of snow & rain & snow followed by those temps would create a ice-encased mess which would be a lot of work to clear.

So I guess I'll be going out to clear the car when the worst of the snow has ended. Ugh.

But it is beautiful scenery.

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: January 13, 2024, 10:25:44 AM »
Lived and worked a couple of years 2008/9 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Winter came in November and lasted till April, May. Daytime temperatures were regularly -20 Centigrade, overnight no surprise even colder. Snow fell and never melted till spring thaw, and was scooped up and dumped in car parks. Life went on, schools remained open and kids played out at break times unless the temperature fell below -25C. Roads were cleared, traffic moved no problem, Edmonton airport remained open. Life went on. There are 4 seasons in Alberta, Nearly winter, Winter, Still Winter, Road Works. Now living near Glasgow, Scotland, where the weather is much milder, overnight temps -2, -3 daytime +1 to +3 in winter, lots of rain, occasional snow and the traffic is a shambles. Easier to deal with the extremes because the infrastructure is set up to deal with the extremes. More difficult to deal with the occasional weather fluctuations.