Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 833682 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10500 on: January 13, 2024, 04:46:24 PM »
Unless a community has loads of money to spend, I suspect infrastructure is based upon a combination of what is 'normal' and what is required. When I lived in the Atlanta area, there just wasn't the equipment needed to remove snow from the streets so less than one inch of snow would bring the entire area to a standstill (of course, it didn't help that drivers didn't know how to drive in snow!). Spending money for snow removal wasn't cost-effective use of public funds.

It was different at the international airport — delaying incoming and outgoing flights might be somewhat tolerable, but allowing all operations to grind to a halt because of the inability to remove snow was unacceptable. Thus, they made the investment in equipment which might go years between use.

Where I live now even the smallest town has snow removal abilities because there is snow every year. Most snowstorms leave less than six inches at a time and can be routinely managed, but if it comes too quickly (e.g. more than an inch an hour) or too much (e.g. more than 20 inches in a single storm), it will, for a time, exceed snow removal abilities and delays will follow.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: January 14, 2024, 01:10:32 AM »
TRex and Tony, after reading your posts I don't think I'll dare to moan about our weather ever again :laugh: Makes me realise how lucky I am.  It's cold here but it's a beautiful bright sunny afternoon.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: January 14, 2024, 01:51:36 AM »
Hi Pen,

I've only got time for your fix tonight.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: January 14, 2024, 02:03:24 AM »

Picture 5.  Use polite euphemism.

Hi Jack

I've been for my constitutional - very enjoyable in the sunshine  :)

When I looked at the spoiler alerts I went grrrrr :laugh:  I never did get that last word and, what really galls me, I use it often  :-R

You'll be pleased to hear I've moved on from romance books. I'm moving onto something a little more highbrow for my rebus!  It's a novel published in the 1950's.

# 3 7 (#5 + #2) 2 #3 #3

Please use three consecutive letters from pictures one and two and lose the first two letters of picture four. You need our spelling for picture five. Please lose the first letter and re-arrange what you have left.  Position is vitally important.

Must get the kettle on!
I was just going to press the go button when your post popped up!  Hilarious as always  :laugh:  Thanks  :-*

« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 02:11:53 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: January 14, 2024, 10:13:46 AM »
When I looked at the spoiler alerts I went grrrrr :laugh:  I never did get that last word and, what really galls me, I use it often  :-R
You'll be pleased to hear I've moved on from romance books. I'm moving onto something a little more highbrow for my rebus!

Hi Pen,

I am sorry that you were galled.  I felt guilty about using an obscure clue and I promise you it was not out of revenge. :laugh:  >:D

I am so pleased you have moved onto highbrow authors that I am going to reward you for your excellent rebus with two rebuses, both from highbrow authors.

It was not the book itself that led me to choose it for the first rebus.  It was the interesting story Andrew told me this morning about the burial of the author.  It may be true or be urban myth, but it is certainly worth the retelling.  You have used the author’s books or TV series that were made from them several times in your rebuses.

The great English novelist and poet who wrote many fine novels loved cats.  He was given a Persian cat with orange eyes who he adored and who loyally remained by his side at his death. But then the cat disappeared as if spirited away. No one knew what had happened to him. This was a mystery until another author made a remarkable suggestion as to how the cat disappeared.

It was somewhat decided that the great man’s ashes should be buried in Poet’s Corner at Westminster Abbey. You can see his gravestone there today. But his heart was to be buried at St. Michael’s church in the village of Stinsford near Dorchester because he had given his heart to the village metaphorically speaking.

While the corpse was lying at his house, a doctor removed his heart and carefully wrapped it in a tea towel and placed it in a biscuit tin where it was left beside the body. The cat was there, and it was dinner time. He smelled the biscuit tin and picked up the scent of meat, raw meat which he decided he fancied. He managed to open the tin and devoured most of the heart leaving a few valves and tough bits.

The undertaker arrived the following day to collect the heart as arranged for burial at St. Michael’s church. He opened the tin and saw the few scraps of heart left over from the cat’s dinner. He instantly decided on a brave move. He strangled the cat and placed his body in the biscuit tin.

The tin was placed in an urn for the ceremony. No one knew that it contained the cat who’d mysteriously disappeared. It was a bit larger than planned because it had to contain the biscuit tin but no explanation was given and the ceremony proceeded as planned.
Inside the urn was the great man’s heart but it happened to be mashed up and inside his dead cat’s stomach. The cat had indeed stolen his master’s heart (literally).

1 #4  #2  #9 (4  4)

A    

Picture 1.  I’ve resisted asking you to make the homophone because it would be tautologous.
Picture 2.  One word (4). Make homophone.  Discard the last letter.  Reverse the remaining letters.
Picture 3. The letter count includes the space between the two words.

To Be Continued …….
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: January 14, 2024, 06:08:13 PM »
Smee again, Pen,

This rebus is about a novel published  in the mid-19th century by a woman using a male penname.

#3 #4 2  #3  #4

Positioning deliberate,  Position preposition not pictured

Picture 1. Discard first 2 letters.
Picture 3. Discard first 3 letters.

And leave you with a pair bonding well

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was R Plurals)
« Reply #10506 on: January 14, 2024, 11:27:54 PM »

I am sorry that you were galled.  I felt guilty about using an obscure clue and I promise you it was not out of revenge. :laugh:  >:D

I am so pleased you have moved onto highbrow authors that I am going to reward you for your excellent rebus with two rebuses, both from highbrow authors.

And leave you with a pair bonding well

Hi Jack

Greetings from a very cold and gloomy Bletchley.  What a gorgeous picture  :-*

I got your second rebus quite quickly but I'm a bit baffled by the first one!  I have an answer but it doesn't fit the word pattern  ??? The story about the author's cat made me shudder! I did know it but had filed it away under 'best forgotten'  :laugh:

My rebus is a book by the gent who gave us Tuppy Glossop. Published at the beginning of the last century.

#4 5 #3 8 (#4 + #4)

You need the first three letters of the film title in picture one.  Please use the first four letters of picture two and the first three letters of the names of both gents in pictures four and five. Position is key  >:D

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

How do you identify a bald eagle?
All his feathers are combed over to one side.

Leave you with two very naff jokes  ;D  Got a corned beef sarnie with my name on it  :-H

« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:36:43 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: January 15, 2024, 05:21:52 PM »
Hi Pen,

This is the post you do, when you haven't got a single original thought in your head.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: January 16, 2024, 02:05:05 AM »

This is the post you do, when you haven't got a single original thought in your head.

Hi Jack

A busy Monday as usual.  No idea if I'll get to the end of this but I'll give it my best shot.

My rebus is a song I was singing earlier on.  No idea why!

9 (#4 + #5) #4 #7 2 #2 #4

Please lose the first and last letters of picture one. You need the first name of the character in picture five and then just the first and last letter.  Position is vitally important.

"How do you do?"
"How do I do what?"
"I mean, how do you find yourself?"
"Don't be silly. I never lose myself."
"You don't understand. How do you feel?"
"With my fingers, of course.
Haven't you got anything better to do than bother me with stupid questions?"

Leave you with a naff joke and this... ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: January 16, 2024, 01:24:44 PM »
My rebus is a song I was singing earlier on.  No idea why!

Hi Pen,

It’s as good an earwig as any.  It sounds like it was appropriate to both Bletchley and Brisbane in January this year, but we can’t give the impression to our readers we only discuss the weather.

I read that the polls reckon the Tories are predicted to lose nearly 200 seats at this year’s General Election, giving Keir Starmer a 120-seat majority.  I also read the Scottish government is considering rejoining the EU. The latest Scottish Government white paper on independence focuses on Scotland rejoining the EU and outlines the benefits of doing so. Angus Robertson, the SNP’s constitution spokesman, believes that Scotland is in a “good place” to rejoin the bloc following a Yes vote, and insists that the paper not only sets out the benefits for Scots but also for EU institutions as well. I can’t see it happening in the next 5 years. 

I think you English have an expression to cover these events – “ May you live in interesting times”.  I know it is meant to be ironic but it does seem particularly apt.

This reminded me of a whimsical note sent from the British Ambassador to Moscow, to Foreign Office minister Lord Reginald Pembroke during WWII.

Do you agree, Pen, it would be really good to get other opinions on the times in which we live?  But while you are holding your breath, here is the usual fix.

Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #10510 on: January 16, 2024, 02:09:11 PM »
Hi Pen

I did a double take when I saw your latest rebus. The castle is in Conisbrough, the town where I was born and lived until I was 18. I've climbed to the top many times.

Yvonne

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: January 16, 2024, 08:12:32 PM »
That's a bit spooky Yvonne!  Do you think I have some dark, psychic powers? >:D or is it just a funny coincidence?  :laugh:
Penx

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #10512 on: January 16, 2024, 09:32:29 PM »
Just a coincidence I expect, Pen. But it is one of the best preserved Norman ****s in England. It features in Walter Scott's 'Ivanhoe'.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: January 16, 2024, 11:46:24 PM »

It’s as good an earwig as any. 

I read that the polls reckon the Tories are predicted to lose nearly 200 seats at this year’s General Election, giving Keir Starmer a 120-seat majority.  The latest Scottish Government white paper on independence focuses on Scotland rejoining the EU   

I think you English have an expression to cover these events – “ May you live in interesting times”.  I know it is meant to be ironic but it does seem particularly apt.

This reminded me of a whimsical note sent from the British Ambassador to Moscow, to Foreign Office minister Lord Reginald Pembroke during WWII.

Do you agree, Pen, it would be really good to get other opinions on the times in which we live?  But while you are holding your breath, here is the usual fix.

Hi Jack

I've probably said it before but, unfortunately, I am an ostrich.  I never watch the news and only read bits and pieces in the newspaper.  I'm sure you're right about the election result.  I doubt people will agree with me but I suspect things wont improve when Keir Starmer is PM.  Our small country is being swamped and our culture being washed away. Half the time I'm frightened to open my mouth in case I say the wrong thing.
When I venture to Bletchley town centre I hardly hear any English voices and some days at work are challenging. Ms Google and her translate tool aren't much help!!  I have no problem whatsoever with people who are genuine refugees or people who want to come here through the proper channels to work and integrate.  Why do overseas students need to bring their entire family with them?  and why do people pass through multiple safe countries to risk their lives crossing the channel?   Few of our politicians have any common sense or integrity and none of them give a damn about 'the man on the Clapham Omnibus
It'll be a sad day when Scotland get their independence.  I wonder if it's a case of 'the grass is greener'? Who knows. I presume they'll lose their subsidies from parliament.  They can't have it both ways.
I feel fed up now. There's nowt I can do to change anything.  Whoever I vote for it'll just be more of the same.   It's why I try to push it all out of my mind. So sorry,  having had a bit of a rant I think the answer to your question is 'I don't much like the times we're living in now'

On the plus side I laughed out loud at the letter to Reggie  :laugh:  Brilliant - it's a small snapshot of the time & Pickles never fails to make me laugh and cheer me up!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: January 17, 2024, 02:37:59 AM »
Just a coincidence I expect, Pen. But it is one of the best preserved Norman ****s in England. It features in Walter Scott's 'Ivanhoe'.

Lets hope so Yvonne -  I'm not aware of any dark forces at work!!  That's an interesting fact :)  I didn't realise it featured in 'Ivanhoe'.  It's amazing the things we learn from Chi  :)