Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 867088 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10470 on: January 07, 2024, 09:59:44 AM »
Spoiler Alert for Puzzles Between 1-6 January

Puzzles 1-6 January

Date reflects the author's time zone.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: January 07, 2024, 02:12:23 PM »
I hoping I'm not in the dog house.

Hi Pen

My rebus is a quote from a Monty Python movie.

4 #6 3 1 #7 3 4 #6 #5 2 #11

Your was a and your of  

Conceptually one line.  If you have a choice go for the adult.

Picture 4.  You need a homograph (that is a word spelt the same but with a different meaning).  As the fish is found in the northern hemisphere, I have added picture 6 as another homograph associated with ironworks for the benefit of the antipodeans.

And I’ll leave you with a picture of Bonnie taking a break on her walk.  3 ½ years old today.   Doesn’t time fly?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 02:53:36 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: January 08, 2024, 01:28:08 AM »

On Parole of Bletchley

You need a homophone (that is a word spelt the same but with a different meaning).

make a homophone of picture two. 

Hi Jack

It's bitterly cold here today.  Just been to the local shop to get some eggs and, stupidly, didn't wear a titfer.  My eyes were streaming and my ears have frost bite  :laugh:

What a smashing picture of Bonnie :-*  Can't believe she's three and a half  :o  Where does the time go?

I feel a bit of a pillock :-[  Have I been getting it wrong all this time?  I consulted Ms Google but she wasn't a great deal of help.

Your second cartoon made me roar with laughter - it was the cat that did it  :laugh:

A great rebus  :)  I haven't seen the film for quite a while.  My rebus is a quote from another film which I love and must watch again  :laugh:

#1 #2 #7 - #3 #4 #4 #2 #7

First word sounds like.  Please lose the last letter of picture two and reverse what's left.  Please use the first three letters of picture three and add an s to picture four. You need the American spelling for picture six and replace the fourth letter with an apostophe. Please change the first letter of picture seven and use the last two letters of picture eight. You need the first name of the (title) character on the right in picture nine and please pretend it's all on one line. Hope it's ok.  I've checked, checked and checked again :laugh:

That's it from me - I feel like  :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:32:15 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: January 08, 2024, 02:28:15 AM »
Hi Pen,

I am the pillock.

I meant homograph not homophone.  I have corrected it. Have you got room in the dog house for me?

The difference between homophones, homographs, and homonyms are:

Homophones are words that sound the same but have different meanings and may or may not be spelled differently. Examples: by, buy, bye; write, right.

Homographs are words that are spelled the same but have different meanings or pronunciations. Examples: bow (noun), bow (verb); lead (metal), lead (verb).

Homonyms are words that are both homophones and homographs, or either one or the other. Examples: bear (animal), bear (verb); rose (flower), rose (past tense of rise).

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 03:42:21 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: January 08, 2024, 04:55:46 AM »
If there is anyone else who celebrates The Nativity (Christmas) today, a happy and blessed Nativity to you.

We didn't have a white Christmas here on 25 December, but it is now a lovely white since yesterday.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: January 08, 2024, 06:13:22 AM »

Have you got room in the dog house for me?

Of course I have Jack.  We can enjoy a bottle of Sauv Blanc from your neighbours across the way  >:D   Love the cartoon  :laugh:

Thanks for the proper explanation  :)  I got my knickers in a twist with the somewhat unhelpful Ms Google!

Work tomorrow and it's going to be scrapey scrapey in the morning :(  Hope I can find my de-icer or my trusty scraper!  Still I'm very thankful we haven't got the white stuff that TRex has! These are for you TRex  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: January 08, 2024, 11:28:21 PM »
Hi Jack

Here I am on fracture clinic and the waiting room's packed already and it's not even half past nine yet!

Today's puzzle is a film from the 1970's.  It has a 96% rating on rotten tomatoes which is almost unheard of. 

#3 #3 9 (5 + #4)

Character played by George Burns in picture one and then please reverse it.  Position is vitally important.

Kylie told me that Blue and Sheila were enjoying a stroll this morning.  Their local Vicar passed them and then turned round and said "I didn't see you in church yesterday Blue.  I heard you were playing football.
Blue replied "That's not true Vicar ... and I have the fish to prove it!"

Nearly lunchtime hurrah  :-H  Leave you with a silly joke  ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: January 09, 2024, 04:20:22 AM »
Position is vitally important.

Hi Pen,

I am not convinced you have your positioning right.

Blue was the guest of honour at a Logan District Lions Club dinner.  He was being honoured the for the volunteer work he had put in cleaning up after the last big flood and he had to give a speech.  He was about to deliver his speech when Sheila, sitting at the other end of the table, sent him a piece of paper with the word “KISS” scribbled on it. 

A guest seated next to Blue intercepted the note and announced to the gathering, “His wife has sent him a KISS before he begins his  speech. She must love him very much.”
Blue responded, “I am sure she does, but the letters stand for “Keep It Short, Stupid.”

Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: January 09, 2024, 04:55:04 AM »
Work tomorrow and it's going to be scrapey scrapey in the morning :(  Hope I can find my de-icer or my trusty scraper!  Still I'm very thankful we haven't got the white stuff that TRex has! These are for you TRex  :)

Thanks! There has been a little melting, but things have remained white, which I find more pleasant than grey and brown. Forecast is for four to eight inches starting tonight.  ;D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: January 09, 2024, 06:02:39 AM »
We had a bit of sleety stuff this afternoon but nothing much.  I don't mind watching the snow if I'm sitting indoors looking out of the window!  I don't enjoy turning out at 7am in the dark and having to clear my car before heading off to work.  Keep safe and warm TRex  :)

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: January 09, 2024, 06:40:15 AM »
I don't enjoy turning out at 7am in the dark and having to clear my car before heading off to work.

Quite understandable. I have the advantage of retirement! I go clear the car when I feel like it!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: January 09, 2024, 05:04:50 PM »

I am not convinced you have your positioning right.

Hi Pen,

When I was a young man I used to favour an expression there are more ways of skinning a cat than choking it with butter.  I was very intolerant of old men who thought they had the right answer without giving due weight to alternative solutions.

I thought about what I wrote about your last rebus, and I realised I had become the old man I used to be intolerant of.  I would have used your pictures in a different order and therefore did not consider immediately that your order could also give the same answer.  So, I hope my comments did not spoil your satisfaction of developing a great rebus.

This is a post on the run as we are having a special celebration today.  But I must include your favourite cartoons.

And I’ll leave you with this

This might amuse you

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: January 09, 2024, 11:25:04 PM »

When I was a young man I used to favour an expression there are more ways of skinning a cat than choking it with butter

I would have used your pictures in a different order and therefore did not consider immediately that your order could also give the same answer.  So, I hope my comments did not spoil your satisfaction of developing a great rebus.

This is a post on the run as we are having a special celebration today. 

Hi Jack

Thanks for your lovely post - I hope you enjoyed your celebration earlier  :-*   Are you sharing more details?  >:D

I love that expression!  I would just say 'there's more ways to skin a cat' but the butter makes it funny.  It wasn't until you queried it that I thought about it being put in a different order.  Makes sense and certainly didn't spoil anything :)

I'm rushing off to lunch now but, hopefully, I'll return this afternoon.

Penx
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 12:08:26 AM by Hobbit »

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: January 09, 2024, 11:28:50 PM »
Hi Jack.
I did wonder at your comment, as I thought I had the answer. And apparently I did.
Now, stop worrying about having OCD (old, cranky and dangerous) and just enjoy the ride!
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: January 10, 2024, 12:09:38 AM »

Now, stop worrying about having OCD (old, cranky and dangerous) and just enjoy the ride!

I love that Moyra.  That's me down to a T  :laugh: