Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 835252 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5550 on: February 11, 2021, 11:11:37 PM »
I've gone for carrot and coriander soup with some oat and barley toast.

Freezing here also, but beautiful blue sky and sunshine - perfect weather for a brisk walk this afternoon.  Lots of snowdrops out so surely the daffodils can't be far behind?  Now if only I could think of a new route for my walk that's not too hilly - difficult task in these parts!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: February 12, 2021, 12:12:26 AM »
Yummy that sounds delish Linda :-H

Good luck with finding a walk that doesn't involve a hill round your way :laugh:  I saw a few daffs & snowdrops last weekend.  Hope they survive the frost.  It's bitterly cold here & not a drop of sun in sight.  Enjoy your brisk walk.  Work up an appetite for something very yummy later :-H  I'm shopping after work so I've got a boring pepperoni pizza for quickness.  Wont set my world on fire :(
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: February 12, 2021, 12:25:25 AM »
I think the answer to your rebus must be a particularly British saying and I can't see the logic of it but the Phrase Finder acknowledges it, so that is good enough for me.

Spot on Jack!  It does say it's more common in the North of England & is rarely found south of Birmingham so perhaps I have my Dad to thank for it.  It's a phrase I've been familiar with most of my life.

I could have done with Linda's soup to warm me up.  Perishing here.

A great selection of cartoons :laugh:  So glad it's Friday tomorrow it's been a long & tiring week :-Y

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: February 12, 2021, 02:14:34 AM »
Walk done ... not too hilly, freezing cold but beautifully sunny.  Worked up an appetite for roast chicken dinner!  The more birds I can eat the less there will be to bother me! :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: February 12, 2021, 02:39:42 AM »
Oh Linda that's hilarious :laugh: :laugh:  I laughed out loud & got some very funny looks from the patients in the waiting room!

Enjoy your roast chicken dinner :-H  very envious!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: February 12, 2021, 06:19:14 PM »
I've been a bit busy lately, so haven't had too much time for rebuses and such like.
Jack, I will be in touch later to see if you can talk me through the way of bypassing the '4pix only' rule!!

A very straightforward rebus for you today

1971, b/w, now regarded as a classic. Four words 3/4/7/4

Bonus points - name the director; name the debutante actress who later had very strong Blue Moon connections.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:21:04 PM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: February 12, 2021, 11:42:28 PM »
Hi Mike,

Whenever you are ready, I will give you all the help I can.  the 4pix only rule applies to attachments.  We will learn to imbed the pictures into the post and as far as I know there is no limit.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:55:02 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: February 13, 2021, 12:39:25 AM »
Hi Pen,

I thought I had arranged some nice quiet time to devise a rebus this afternoon, but you know what thought did.

I am only now getting around to it and I am knacked, so all I can offer is a couple of naff cartoons and a promise.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: February 13, 2021, 04:21:39 AM »
Hi Jack

I know exactly what thought did >:D  I've had a busy day & am flagging a bit now but have a simple little rebus.  I solved Mike's rebus but didn't get the bonus with consulting Ms Google.  I'd forgotten all about Moonlighting.  A favourite of mine in it's day!

It's a poem.
#3 #6 #3 #3 #9

THETHE
I think most folks will find this rather easy.  If a hint is needed then you're looking for the nickname of the gent in the first picture.

An ad in my local paper...
Muhammad Ali DVD collection &
George Foreman grill.
Both boxed!

Mr Tickle wanted to marry the girl of his dreams...
but Tess was reluctant to take on his last name!

Leave you with a couple of very naff Dad jokes ;D  Sure you can out naff me tomorrow!

We have jacket spuds in the oven which are calling us :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: February 13, 2021, 09:42:14 AM »
Hi Pen,

Great rebus.  I found it easy using google and your hint about the nickname but it would have been impossible for me without Google - I didn't recognise either of the pictures.

Dusty came over last night to start his weekend with us.  I am totally knacked.  One dog can run you ragged. Two dogs?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:54:28 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: February 13, 2021, 01:10:44 PM »
Maybe slightly trickier than yesterday.

A 2005 musical that, when it was shown on BBC Television, elicited a humungous number of complaints from viewers.

four words = 5/8/3/5,

Bonus point - where, exactly, was the eponymous 'hero' of the show born?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: February 13, 2021, 02:26:13 PM »
Hi Again, Pen

I will stick to the poem theme for my rebus today, but I am going to be selfish and make it one in an Australian setting.

#5  3  #4  #2  8(#3  #2  #3)

the    

I named the horse I got for my seventh birthday the same as the name of the horse in Picture 1.  But don’t be concerned with the horse, it is part of the character’s name that you are after.  You’ve gotta get past the tense in the second picture.  You’ve got 2 chances in the last picture – the name of the person or the general description of that type of person.

Good Luck
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: February 13, 2021, 08:31:10 PM »
Well done, Mike and Jack.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: February 14, 2021, 02:06:13 AM »
Hi Jack

Zoe & I have just been out for a walk.  The weather is -1oc but feels like -7oc. :o  We lasted about 10 or 15 minutes.  Our faces are numb & fingers & toes too.  I can't remember when it was last this cold.  We're back indoors enjoying a warming cuppa.

I got Mike's rebus without too much difficulty but yours took a fair bit of work by the little grey cell :laugh: I got stuck on the last word! For my rebus I thought I'd try & do the book that Zoe is presently reading.  Not sure how it'll work but give it a whirl!

#1 #4 #4 (3'1) #4

'S
Hint you're not interested in the type of bird but the characteristic for which it is known.
For a bonus point please name the author.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:09:29 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: February 14, 2021, 06:26:16 AM »
You're absolutely right Jack!  I did the puzzle thinking the first word was 'A'.  She was sitting opposite me reading the book as I was puzzling.  As I looked up & saw the cover I realised my mistake.  I changed the picture but not the word count.  What a numpty!

Going to give the little grey cell a quick work out then find a film to watch with the remains of my pink plonk.  Work tomorrow :(  Not going in until about 9 so not too bad.