Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 833692 times)

Began

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5535 on: February 10, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »
Hi Les,
I certainly didn't expect to see my username as part of a rebus. Very clever!
I live in the Far South Coast region of NSW. I wonder if anyone can guess the name of the town I live in? Hint: the clue is in my username, Began.  ;)

Rose.

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: February 10, 2021, 07:04:47 PM »
Hi Rose

Welcome, I think you live in Bega with cheese

Carol

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: February 10, 2021, 07:38:13 PM »
G'day Rose,
Phew, she's not another bloody pom or even worse a cranky yank.
I'm joking of course as i love all of our players from all around the world, unfortunately far too many players choose to be silent observers rather than actually registering & contributing to the forum so i congratulate you Rose, on taking the plunge to become part of the forum family.
Like any family we have our little arguments & differences of opinion & from time to time you might even have to put up with an irreverent character like me but at the end of the day it is all about having a diversion, getting to know strangers from all over our country & from all over the world & most importantly, it's just about having a laugh a bit of harmless fun & more recently maybe even solving a few some puzzles.
I expect that you will be pleasantly surprised with the genuine connections & friendships that you create on this forum.

I can remember when a horse called Arwon won the Melbourne Cup & how everybody wanted to know where the unusual name came from.
Turns out that one of the owners lived in Nowra ( a New south Wales town ) so he simply reversed the letters.
I also like my Bega cheese which is produced in the New South Wales town of the same name.
Other than that, Rose, i have no clue but i'm sure that ozziejack ( our expert problem solver & ex resident of New South Wales ) will have the answer.

Cheers Les

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: February 10, 2021, 09:58:26 PM »
Hi Rose

Welcome, I think you live in Bega with cheese

Carol

I love cheese :-H   Especially strong cheddar & stilton :-H
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: February 10, 2021, 11:07:52 PM »
Hi Jack

Another busy day - you'd think the snow would keep them indoors!  I managed to get to the bottom of your rebus.  I didn't find it as easy as Carol  :laugh:  It's a great idea to have something different ;)    Mine is a simple little puzzle. I'm going to try & get it done before lunch which is why I've kept it simple.
#3 9(#3+#3+#3) 4 (#3+#1)

It's a bit easy peasy so I'm not sure any hints are required.  Happy to give one if needed!  Hope none of my pictures do a vanishing act.

My post is like me today - vertically challenged!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:09:38 PM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: February 11, 2021, 12:16:51 AM »
Hi Pen

Long time no chatter!  Just had to comment on

I'm not a fan of his music - too wishy washy for my taste!

Yet another thing we have in common.  Not only am I not a fan of his music, I'm not a fan of his!  Soooo bloody annoying and smug!  A colleague and I at work have a running joke about him being at the top of our 'most detested list'.  She bought me a Sir Cliff (as we always call him) mug and apron just to irritate me!  I have found her several 'lovely' birthday and Christmas cards ... why anyone would seriously want a card with his wrinkled mug on it, I don't know!  Anyway, rant over ... speak soon, I hope!

PS  Pork and pickle sandwich today!  Yum!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: February 11, 2021, 12:40:15 AM »
Smashing to hear from you Linda.  Wondered how you were getting on.

It's scary how much we have in common :laugh:  I don't know why but Cliff gives me the heebie jeebies!  My friend Barbs thinks he's wonderful.  About the only thing we don't agree on.  I love the idea that your work friend brought you a 'Sir Cliff' mug & apron.  Wonder where they ended up? >:D

It was ham & cheese for me today in a cheesy topped roll with a dollop of our favourite condiment!

Hope work's OK with not too much interference from clients (especially farmery ones >:D

ps  I think the worst thing was when he sang at Wimbledon when rain had stopped play :-R  That was a few moons ago now!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 01:15:43 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: February 11, 2021, 04:22:41 AM »
Hi Pen,

A quickie with some random and half-asleep musings in a quick break from the much-needed arms of Morpheus.

I wonder if the first vegan was a resident of a town called Vega.

I didn’t put in a spoiler alert for my last rebus as it was so obvious given the imminence of the Chinese New Year.  I was born a horse, you a fiery monkey (more like a cheeky one I would have thought), last year’s babies are rats, and the poor cows this year are oxen.

Carol wished me seasons greetings and I responded, if the language translator was accurate, by thanking her and wishing her and her family all the best.

It was good to hear from Linda.  I have missed your exchanges on being identical twins separated at birth and your mouth-watering exchanges on cuisine among other things.

You should be home from work by now and I should be asleep.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:52:25 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: February 11, 2021, 06:32:18 AM »

I was born a horse, you a fiery monkey (more like a cheeky one I would have thought),

Carol wished me seasons greetings and I responded, if the language translator was accurate, by thanking her and wishing her and her family all the best.

If the subject of your latest rebus is a #403 error, then I will submit a spoiler alert,  otherwise, I would not know how to frame the words which I believe I have sussed.

It was good to hear from Linda.

Hi Jack

Your sleepy musings tickled me :laugh:

I'll take being a cheeky monkey  ;D  I was a bit baffled by all the Chinese - glad you translated!  You are, of course,  quite correct about my puzzle :)

It was great to hear from my identical twin :)

I'm a bit knacked this evening so I'm going to bid you adios & say

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: February 11, 2021, 11:25:17 AM »
Hi Pen,

I was a bit puzzled by a statement by Les “more recently maybe even solving a few some puzzles” and it occurred to me that Les has only seen that small fraction of the puzzles that have been posted since his return to the fold.

Being in a lazy and nostalgic mood I thought I would dig out some random puzzles. I was too lazy to troll through and seek out the best. I have edited some slightly to take account of later conventions.

Pen: 11 June 2020

4#(3'1)  4# 1 4# 5# 2# 3# 5# 
You are looking for a proverb.   First word: please lose a letter!
a
in the

Jack: 12 June 2020

Let’s try something different. THE challenge is to guess the phrase hidden in each of these tricky images. See how many you can figure out.

Pen: a sign-off from 8 October 2019.

Sign-offs don’t have word counts.

All our first rebuses were sign-offs.  This is the first puzzle that was presented in the middle of a post.

Jack:  4 October 2019

Subject:  Classic Australian Cuisine.  It didn’t have a word count but becomes a gimme when I give one.

#4  #5(4 ‘1)  #5

And I’ll leave Pen with the last word from September, 2019

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:21:08 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Began

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: February 11, 2021, 05:13:14 PM »
Hi forumites,
Yep, you've all figured it out. I live in beautiful Bega, where the cheese comes from.  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: February 11, 2021, 09:46:41 PM »
Hi Jack

I enjoyed your trip down memory lane :)  I remembered some but not all!  I'm having another busy day - not helped by being short staffed.  So glad it's Friday tomorrow :)

Most people (staff & patients alike) seem to have got out of bed the wrong side this morning :( 

I'm sort of following on a theme.  Not sure if I've used this before or not - knowing me I must have done! 
# 1'2 #2 #2 #3 #4 #2 #3 #6
THEOF
Easy peasy I suspect!

Bitterly cold here today.  My colleague Jane scraped all the ice off her car & went back indoors for 2/3 minutes.  When she came back out her car had frozen up again.  My temperature guage said -3oc when I parked at work.  One of my colleages said it was -7oc during the night.

Gotta go eskimo :laugh:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:18:35 PM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: February 11, 2021, 09:59:56 PM »
I think the worst thing was when he sang at Wimbledon when rain had stopped play

Absolutely cringemaking!  Thank goodness centre court has got a roof now.  Your poor friend is probably tone deaf and needs to go to Specsavers!

My Cliff apron is stuffed into the back of a little used drawer - in case of emergencies!  What emergencies could possibly require a Cliff apron I can't think but you never know!  My mug is at work and has been defaced more times than it's been used! 

Pondering over lunch already ...   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: February 11, 2021, 10:51:42 PM »
Absolutely cringemaking!  Thank goodness centre court has got a roof now.  Your poor friend is probably tone deaf and needs to go to Specsavers!
 What emergencies could possibly require a Cliff apron I can't think but you never know!
Pondering over lunch already ...   >:D

Next time I meet her for a walk I will pass on your message :laugh:

The only use I can think of for the Cliff apron is if the dog had an accident & it needed cleaning up >:D

Cheese & Marmite sarnie for me today. So cold I wish I had soup!  Lunch in half an hour :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: February 11, 2021, 11:09:38 PM »
Hi Pen,

I think the answer to your rebus must be a particularly British saying and I can't see the logic of it but the Phrase Finder acknowledges it, so that is good enough for me.

I wonder what Linda will come up with for lunch.  I hope to be well asleep by the time you find out.

I think we have had enough puzzles today so I am going to concentrate on  getting a good night’s sleep. I will try for something challenging tomorrow.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:55:44 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack