Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 837354 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11175 on: June 21, 2024, 12:02:27 AM »

Another great rebus. I couldn't get it but Andrew and June combined to get it in about 10 minutes.  It had about 6 episodes in 1980-1.  I don't think it ever got to Australia.

The Cleveland mob had a couple of nights in Las Vegas after visiting Yosemite National Park and Death Valley on the way.

I am currently on a binge reading spree of Brian Freemantle's Charlie Muffin Series.  I can recommend it if you like the genre.

Hi Jack

Thanks  :) It's one of those programmes that makes me think 'they don't make 'em like that any more!'  It was filmed not far from here in a pretty village called Aldbury which is near Tring.

It's very warm and sunny here today.  I've done a few chores and a bit of shopping, been for a walk and am now skulking indoors  :laugh:

I hope none of the Cleveland Mob lost their shirt in Las Vegas  >:D  :laugh:

I will investigate Charlie Muffin thanks.

My offering today is the title of several books and also what looks like a very naff telly programme.

#3 #3 #2 6(#3 + #3)

Picture one your not interested in what they are - just a general term for them and use the first three letters. Please lose the last letter of picture four.  Two homophones and we're all on one line.

That's all from me.  I'm off to finish my chores - or have a small snooze  >:D

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11176 on: June 22, 2024, 02:04:21 PM »
I hope none of the Cleveland Mob lost their shirt in Las Vegas  >:D  :laugh:

Hi Pen,
This is not an issue as they are not into gambling.  I understand Las Vegas has a wide variety of entertainment, quite a lot of it free.

They were very impressed with Monument Valley on the Arizona-Utah border.  A big feature is a cluster of stunning sandstone buttes, with the largest reaching 1,000 feet (300 meters) above the valley floor.  The valley holds deep significance for the Navajo Nation, the Native American people within whose reservation it lies.

We just got a new text in with photos of their time in the Grand Canyon (I have attached a couple).  They are now heading to Moab

Congratulations on theming your rebus to the time of year.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 02:11:18 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11177 on: June 23, 2024, 04:50:20 AM »

This is not an issue as they are not into gambling.  I understand Las Vegas has a wide variety of entertainment, quite a lot of it free.

We just got a new text in with photos of their time in the Grand Canyon (I have attached a couple).  They are now heading to Moab

Hi Jack

Zoe and I have been out and about today so it's just a flying visit from me.

Sorry that was my feeble attempt at a joke  ;D  I couldn't imagine them playing poker or roulette.

I've just consulted Ms Google's maps and I think the Cleveland Mob have already driven well over 700 miles  :o  How are they getting on driving on the wrong side of the road? The pictures are amazing.  So very pleased you're sharing them  :)

See you tomorrow.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: June 23, 2024, 06:25:49 PM »
How are they getting on driving on the wrong side of the road?. 

Hi Pen,

No worries with driving on the wrong side of the road.  They lived in Washington D.C. for a couple of years  and Cathy had a 3year posting in Belgrade from about 2004.

Moab was a washout, Literally.   They ran into a fierce storm on the way which resulted in flash floods, a d washed out bridge and closed tourist attractions.  Quite unusual in the desert I would have thought.

From Moab they went to the Arches National Park.  The park has over 2,000 natural stone arches, hundreds of soaring pinnacles, massive rock 

They passed through Salt Lake City, the capital of Utah, which is known for its high-salinity Great Salt Lake and its association with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). 

Then through Idaho, known for its famous “Grown in Idaho®” potatoes, boasts ideal growing conditions—rich volcanic soil, a favorable climate, and efficient irrigation. In any given year, Idaho potato growers harvest between 300,000 to 320,000 acres, yielding an impressive 13.5 billion pounds of spuds1fins, and giant balanced rocks.

And after a long tiring day lobbed in West Yellowstone, Wyoming.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11179 on: June 23, 2024, 10:36:23 PM »

No worries with driving on the wrong side of the road.  They lived in Washington D.C. for a couple of years  and Cathy had a 3year posting in Belgrade from about 2004.

Hi Jack

Wow they've had very varied and interesting lives  :)  No wonder they're intrepid travellers!

It's very hot and humid here.  I've been for a walk before it gets any warmer.  The forecast is for about 28oc later in the week.  Eve and I are off to Llandudno on Friday for 5 nights.  It's a similar holiday to one we did a few years ago.  Last time it rained and rained almost every day so we're hoping for better weather this time round.

My rebus is a book and a game.

7 (#4 + #3) #3 #3 #4

What is the character delivering in picture two?  Last three letters please.  Picture four was known by three words when I was a kid.
One-armed...Six letters.  You need three consecutive letters from the middle of the third word.  Any one of the gents in picture five and change the first letter to one nearer the middle of the alphabet.  Please lob a French acute accent over the fourth letter in the first word and we're all on one line.
I've probably mentioned it before but picture two is from a film called Keeping Mum.  It was recommended to me by one of my work mates and I loved it.

The priest in a small Irish village was very fond of the chickens he kept in the hen house out the back of the parish manse. He had a cock rooster and about ten hens.
One Saturday night the cock rooster went missing and as that was the time he suspected cock fights occurred in the village he decided to do something about it at church the next morning.
At Mass, he asked the congregation "Has anybody got a cock?" - all the men stood up.
"No No!" he said "That wasn't what I meant. Has anybody seen a cock?" - all the women stood up.
"No No!" he said "That wasn't what I meant. Has anybody seen a cock that doesn't belong to them." - half the women stood up.
"No No No No!" he said "That wasn't what I meant. Has anybody seen my cock?" - all the nuns stood up.       

I know it's a repeat but it still tickles me  ;D

I'm not sure but I think the middle one might be Pickles  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 10:42:42 PM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11180 on: June 24, 2024, 07:02:36 PM »
Eve and I are off to Llandudno on Friday for 5 nights.

Have a lovely time, Pen.  The weather here is very hot so hopefully you will get some sun on your holiday.  I haven't been to Llandudno for many years but we do venture into the wilds of Wales occasionally as it's not too far from us really.  Some beautiful beaches, especially Shell Island and Harlech.  Hope you remember to pack your Welsh phrasebook and passport!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11181 on: June 24, 2024, 09:49:46 PM »
Thanks Linda  :)  We're just hoping it doesn't rain too much!  Last time we went to Port Meirion it bucketed down with rain  :(  You're very lucky.  Living in one of the most beautiful places in the country and lots of other lovely places just a hop and a skip away!
I have my Welsh passport and phrasebook at the ready  :laugh:  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11182 on: June 25, 2024, 12:28:33 AM »
Hi Pen,

This is to get you in the mood for your trip

I have had a full day, no pun intended.  This is just a short post to thank you for you good wishes.  I'll try to give you a full report tomorrow.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11183 on: June 25, 2024, 04:32:59 AM »

This is to get you in the mood for your trip

I have had a full day, no pun intended.  This is just a short post to thank you for you good wishes.  I'll try to give you a full report tomorrow.

Hi Jack

Thanks for the snippet :)  We saw a wonderful Welsh choir the last time we visited Llandudno  :)  Hope we're lucky again.

It's been extremely hot and humid here today and I'm knacked!!  I'm going to search for a few words then slump in my comfy chair!

Look forward to hearing about your birthday celebrations tomorrow (later today?  :laugh:)

Penx

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11184 on: June 25, 2024, 09:59:45 AM »
I didn't realise it was your birthday, Jack.

Many happy returns!

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11185 on: June 25, 2024, 03:36:03 PM »
Hats off  & best wishes on your birthday, Jack!  I,ve no doubt you enjoyed a fine celebration.

Whoever the photographer is of the family’s US trip sure has a gift. Photos are stunning.

Is there any word about Ruby and her pups, yet?  I’m hoping the breeder will share pictures. 

All best wishes

Paula

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: June 25, 2024, 09:11:18 PM »
I think I missed your birthday, Jack - I hope it was a good un and you were carried through the streets in a parade? Happy Boxing Birthday to you!
Madeleine xx

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: June 25, 2024, 09:12:45 PM »
Thank you for sharing the Cleveland mob’s pics - stunning!

Looking forward to seeing some from your trip too, Pen - wishing you a lovely time!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: June 25, 2024, 09:42:01 PM »
Thanks, Yvonne, Paula and Madeleine.  Much appreciated.

Ruby's big day is expected to be June 30 or July 1.  We probably won't hear any news until the Cleveland mob get back from their travels later in the week.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 10:57:36 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11189 on: June 25, 2024, 10:54:20 PM »
Hi Pen,

We had a low key birthday celebration.  The highlights were;
  • Breakfast of porridge and blueberries followed by a scrumptious omelette.
  • A Skype session with the Cleveland mob.
  • Opening cards and presents followed by blowing out the candle# on my birthday cake ## washed down with prosecco.
  • A roast pork lunch with the trimmings, including crackling to die for, washed down with Sav. Blanc.
  • A ploughman’s dinner washed down with Old Peculier and d’Arenberg Laughing Magpie Shiraz Viognier.
  • Coffee with a nightcap of Balvenie 21YO single malt.
  • several poppy-naps.

#    They said if we had one candle for each year, it would set off the fire alarm.
## My favourite lemon cheesecake

The Cleveland mob are spending several days enjoying the delights of Yellowstone National Park.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 11:11:06 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack