Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 861079 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9660 on: June 11, 2023, 02:47:23 PM »
Hi Pen,

I don’t generally take much interest in the cricket but the match against India in the world test championship has reached an interesting stage.  Have you watched it at all?  India will need a monumental effort from their batsmen on the final day to achieve the highest successful run chase in Test history.  I believe the current record is 7 for 418 by West Indies against Australia in 2003.  I am in a pessimistic mood and feel India might just pull it off.

What are your predictions for the Ashes?  I understand the British Bookmakers have the Aussies as the underdogs.  I am more optimistic about Australia’s chances and I reckon our woman are a dead cert in their first ever 5-day test match against England.

I’ve resorted to archaeology for my next rebus.  The recent finding of a silver face mask from a Standard Bearer’s helmet has been cited as evidence for the site of a famous clash in 9 AD.  The site has been a source of some argument.  The answer to the rebus is the name of the clash.

6(#3 #4) #2  9(#3 #2 #4) #6

Conceptually one Line.

Word1.  Homophone of Pictures 1 & 2.
Picture 4. If you don’t recognise her, she was named after a day of the week.  Use the first 3 letters and transpose the vowels. 
Picture 5. First two letters
Picture 6. One word (9).  You need to extract the German word for castle.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 02:50:39 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: June 11, 2023, 10:56:29 PM »

I don’t generally take much interest in the cricket but the match against India in the world test championship has reached an interesting stage.  Have you watched it at all? 

What are your predictions for the Ashes?  I understand the British Bookmakers have the Aussies as the underdogs.  I am more optimistic about Australia’s chances and I reckon our woman are a dead cert in their first ever 5-day test match against England.

I’ve resorted to archaeology for my next rebus. 

Hi Jack

I haven't watched any of the match against India but we've been following it closely.  I think your pessimism is misplaced.  I think the Aussies will triumph.  India are getting down to the lower order batsmen now.  They'd need a miracle! My cohorts and I are off to Trent Bridge on Friday, 23rd to watch a day of the ladies Ashes. If it's this hot I may well struggle. I would never write the Aussies off in either the men's or ladies Ashes.  I think it's hard to call but should make for great entertainment.

That was another very excellent rebus.  As Zoe would say 'you're on fire'  ;)  I remembered that one half of Pete and Dud was married to an actress whose first name was a day of the week.  Helped me enormously :laugh:

I'm cheating slightly  >:D  My rebus is something that took place in the fifteenth century not a million miles from here.
6 (#3 +#3) 2 10 (#5 + #4)

OF
You need the character on the right of picture two** and it's a homophone. Pictures three and four form the first part of the word. You're not interested in who they are but what.  Please change the first letter and it's a homophone. Please pretend it's all on one line and yes I know the sums don't add up!
** Sorry if I confused anybody.  You needed Dennis Waterman's character and not George Cole's.

Leave you with a naff joke  ;D

A woman is giving birth and her husband rushes to the hospital to be there.
On his way, he decides to call the hospital to see how she’s doing but he accidentally calls Lords cricket ground instead.
Someone answers and the husband asks, “Hi. How’s everything going there?”
The reply came, “Well… we have three out and hope to have the rest out by lunch. Last one was a duck.

ps I started this post about two hours ago (had a lunch break in the middle!).  The Aussies won comfortably by 209 runs  :) Ye of little faith  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 04:22:30 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: June 12, 2023, 04:49:15 PM »
Linda / Penny
I have just read a news report saying that travellers have used power tools to take down a padlocked iron gate in order to invade the sports field accross the road from my sister in law in Yorkshire. At least your visitors, Linda, have obvious cultural claims (as the saying goes these days) to being Romany. The modern caravans of the Yorkshire visitors suggest otherwise (not a horse or bow top to be seen). We walk our dog around the edge of this field when we visit and one long side borders old peoples sheltered bungalows. The poor souls are very  worried. Yet they wonder why people are not always pleased to see them.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: June 12, 2023, 06:13:57 PM »
Yet they wonder why people are not always pleased to see them

Exactly, Christine!  My neighbour had a 'visitor' with a pony and trap trying to get down a footpath next to her house which is barely wide enough for three people to walk abreast and we've had several vehicles travelling at some speed in the wrong direction on our one way street.  One visitor thought it was okay to take his pony into a local pub to try and sell it!!  A law unto themselves.  At least today sees the back of them for another year!   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: June 12, 2023, 07:39:48 PM »
Oh Christine that's dreadful.  I don't understand how they're allowed to get away with it.

We also have 'visitors' to MK.  They park up on various green sites round the city.  You can see where the council have dug ditches to stop them getting their vehicles on the verge.

Think a small celebration is in order Linda?  :laugh:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: June 12, 2023, 08:44:59 PM »
Think a small celebration is in order Linda? 

Any excuse!  >:D

Absolutely roasting here today.  The thunderstorm was very disappointing last night.  Few rumbles and that was it.  Not enough to scare even you, Pen.

I am about to undertake one of my least favourite things ever - sewing!!  Bought a dress last year have never been happy with it - looks like a nightie.  It was quite pricey so I feel I ought to do something with it so I am going to chop off the bottom and make it into a lovely top - well that's the plan but my sewing skills are so abysmal that it will probably end up the size of a hanky!  Wish me luck!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: June 12, 2023, 10:19:07 PM »

Absolutely roasting here today.  The thunderstorm was very disappointing last night.  Few rumbles and that was it.  Not enough to scare even you, Pen.

I am about to undertake one of my least favourite things ever - sewing!!  Bought a dress last year have never been happy with it - looks like a nightie.  It was quite pricey so I feel I ought to do something with it so I am going to chop off the bottom and make it into a lovely top - well that's the plan but my sewing skills are so abysmal that it will probably end up the size of a hanky!  Wish me luck!  >:D

It's the same here Linda :(  We had a couple of rumbles of thunder yesterday afternoon and not a drop of rain.  It's unbearably hot and humid and to top it all the radiators are still on all over the outpatients department and fracture clinic  :-R

I howled with laughter at the thought of you tackling the dress and converting it into a top  :laugh: You'll definitely need a small glass of vino later  >:D  We've said this before and I'm almost certainly far worse at sewing than you!  Look forward to hearing how you got on.  Top or hanky  >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: June 12, 2023, 11:55:53 PM »
I howled with laughter at the thought of you tackling the dress and converting it into a top  :laugh: You'll definitely need a small glass of vino later  >:D  We've said this before and I'm almost certainly far worse at sewing than you!  Look forward to hearing how you got on.  Top or hanky  >:D

You might well laugh, Pen.  I have cut off the flouncy frill thing and am now wondering how best to turn the rest up as it's all fraying!  Got my pins out and look as though I should be on Sewing Bee!  I think it will look okay once it's pinned up but the sewing part has yet to come.  Don't feel I have the strength or inclination to tackle that yet - it's miles and miles around the bloody thing!  Hot and bothered!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: June 13, 2023, 02:14:22 AM »
Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow Linda  :laugh: Thank heavens you got rid of the frilly thing!!  Bet you looked very professional with your pins out  :laugh:
We've got a proper storm now :(
Trying to be brave & ignore it!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: June 13, 2023, 05:41:01 PM »
Hi Pen,

Your latest rebus got me thinking.  The Battlefield is about 75 miles (121 km) by road from your place.   

By my reckoning there are 3 battlefields closer
  • St Albans: about 28 miles (45 km by road)
  • Cropredy: about 35 miles (56 km by road)
  • Chalgrove Field: about 50 miles** (80 km by road).
These are approximate values based on the locations of the villages that share the names of the battlefields. The actual distances may vary depending on the exact sites of the historical events.

I was going to make a rebus out of these but it got too difficult and I have been called for my pre-dinner white wine.

While I am on about the history of your are area, have you ever wondered how many secret nuclear bunkers and shelters are sitting beneath Buckinghamshire?  Well, there's probably more than you might think.  Buckinghamshire is home to a number of these shelters, and you might be surprised to find out just how many there are - a staggering 19 bunkers and underground sites!

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: June 13, 2023, 08:57:51 PM »

Your latest rebus got me thinking.  The Battlefield is about 75 miles (121 km) by road from your place.   
By my reckoning there are 3 battlefields closer

I was going to make a rebus out of these but it got too difficult and I have been called for my pre-dinner white wine.

While I am on about the history of your are area, have you ever wondered how many secret nuclear bunkers and shelters are sitting beneath Buckinghamshire?  Well, there's probably more than you might think.  Buckinghamshire is home to a number of these shelters, and you might be surprised to find out just how many there are - a staggering 19 bunkers and underground sites!

Hi Jack

A little fresher here this morning but they're forecasting very hot and sunny again later.  Radiators are still red hot in outpatients and fracture clinic :(

That was an interesting post :)  I had heard of the Battle of St Albans but not the other two.  I definitely didn't know there were any nuclear bunkers in Bucks -  let alone 19  :o  Wonder if there's any in Bletchley? :laugh:

I had an idea for a rebus but no idea if it'll work.  It's another expression I'm fond of.

#5 #2 2 #1 8 (#3 + #5)

A
What is the gent in picture two doing? - present tense.* Please lose 5th, 6th and 7th letters and insert an apostrophe. I picked this because the dog's quite cute :laugh:  Picture four please use the film not the character.  Position is of vital importance!

How many crime writers does it take to change a lightbulb...?
only one but it has to have a really good twist at the end!

Nearly lunchtime thank goodness :-H

Sorry wine wrong colour  :laugh:

* I had a thought in bed last night!  I think it would have been better if I'd said what would you say this gent is doing when he's working? Sorry if I caused a bit of confusion.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 07:24:28 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: June 14, 2023, 08:58:15 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 13/6

Pen 11/6

Jack 11/6

Pen 10/6

Jack 10/6

Pen 8/6
Date reflects the author's time zone.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:02:21 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: June 14, 2023, 10:12:03 PM »
I definitely didn't know there were any nuclear bunkers in Bucks - let alone 19 :o Wonder if there's any in Bletchley? :laugh:

Hi Pen,

This was the article I used. It might have overstated things.

On rereading it would appear most have fallen into such disrepair that they are no longer usable.

You probably don’t remember that I wrote about our visit to a Scottish nuclear bunker.

When I was looking for amusing signs the other day I came across this one:

I didn't include it because we had visited it on one of our trips to Scotland and we found it an eerie experience.

Quote from: their web page

For 50+ years, Scotland kept a secret!

6 Miles from St Andrews lies a secret, a relic left over from the cold war conflict.

100ft underground with the entrance hidden in an unsuspecting farmhouse is RAF Troywood.

RAF Troywood is an "R3" style ROTOR bunker built by the RAF is 1953 in response to the threat of nuclear war with the USSR.

Troywood is 24,000sq feet of command centre, incorporating the latest radar technology of the cold war era, dormitory, plotting rooms and kitchen facility’s to name a few.

We could go on but why don’t you come and see for yourself, how they would have survived, and you wouldn’t ……

It was these last three words that we found chilling.

One of the exhibits was Government information (?) at the time on building of local atomic bomb shelters to survive a bomb attack, However, the whole point of the exercise to keep the population calm and to avoid panic if an attack was imminent. The Authorities knew that people wouldn't survive in those shelters.  We left the exhibit dispirited.

It’s late, so a quick rebus.  An element in a well-known table.

11(#3 #5 #3)

One line. One homophone.
Picture 3.  Substitute “I” for “B”

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: June 15, 2023, 12:36:47 AM »

This was the article I used. It might have overstated things.[/url]

On rereading it would appear most have fallen into such disrepair that they are no longer usable.

You probably don’t remember that I wrote about our visit to a Scottish nuclear bunker.

It’s late, so a quick rebus.  An element in a well-known table.

Hi Jack

Having a bit of a nightmare today  :(  Our computer systems crashed for two hours this morning.  They came back and then packed up again for a little while.  Seem to be working ok again now.  You don't realise how much you depend on them until you don't have them any more :laugh:

That was still an interesting article about the nuclear bunkers in Bucks.  I do remember really enjoying reading your diaries from your trip to Scotland :) and I also remember your visit to the Scottish bunker! and the picture of you on the bridge at St Andrews  :)  You're right those last three words are very chilling.

I enjoy watching a quiz programme called Pointless.  The format is that they survey 100 people for each question and the contestants have to try and guess the answers the fewest came up with.  The reason I'm mentioning this is that they are very fond of rounds about chemical elements so your quick rebus was a bit of a breeze  :laugh:

I'll see your element and offer you this quick one ...

8 (#2 + #4 + #2)

The first two pictures are homophones.  Please use the character's name in picture two and you need two letters from the middle of the surname of picture three.

Nearly home time.  I'm hot and tired and can't wait for a cuppa!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: June 15, 2023, 04:21:56 AM »
Hi Pen,

We are great fans of Pointless but are less than impressed with the procession of Richard Osmond substitutes.

Your rebus has me floundering.  I will have another look at it when the brains trust are awake but I might need an extra clue or help from a friend. I have an element with eight characters and elements (no pun intended) of pictures 2 & 3 but I cannot get anything out of picture 1.
Regards, Jack