Author Topic: Should swag precede hit rate?  (Read 22773 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Should swag precede hit rate?
« on: April 28, 2007, 12:34:56 AM »
Alan -

I think that if the number of words achieved is equal, but a rosette is awarded to one player, that precedence should be given to the player with the rosette above the one without a rosette but a highter hit rate. Just a thought. I suspect you may not agree, but it may merit consideration.

Thanks,
3-B  :D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: Should swag precede hit rate?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 12:45:41 AM »
3B - I see where you're coming from!  Quite right too, inmy humble opinion.  Deja vu has set in again!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 12:52:08 AM »
Thanks, Linda.  ;) ;) (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) But, of course, we little runts must await the wisdom of the Grand Pupmeister. I wonder if he can be swayed by an overwhelming "public opinion" poll, or bribed with candy? I suspect, though, he is above that. And that is as it should be!

Cheers,
3-B  :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 02:25:58 AM »
Hiya All,
Threeb...you are up there girl...well done....and now i have read your post again...it makes sense. Actually i agree..after all, if little miss smarty pants can't even get all the 'common' words,  :P hey,...what more needs to be said.
So Alan..i second that emotion [sorry..motion..].
All those in favour say AYE...
I'm on my way up behind you threeb, so watch out..
Cheers all,
;)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 02:35:13 AM »
P.S.
typical...!! ??? !!
Sorry threeb....
Just for a while there...
Keep on it..
;)

sassie11

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 09:27:48 AM »
well Technomc

You wanted us to say Aye Well I say AYE!!!!!!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 09:45:51 AM »
Hello Anonsi,
Hey mate, don't feel too bad if you miss some of the commoners....some are quite obscure i think...it takes hours for me to suss them out..and i miss some really easy ones sometimes, as do we all....
but it was L.M.S.P. i was refering too. not the rest of hard working 'chi-ites'....
You will get one..just keep persevering..
Cheers for now,
;)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »
Nice to know my forumates are of like mind -- after all, it's natural, since we are a pretty brainy bunch. Appreciate the support! Keep up the rosette drive, and we'll have a great big bouquet!!!

Cheers,
3-B

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 12:16:39 PM »
I would agree ... since the star is rated above percentage why not the other swag too ... even though I haven't managed a rosette yet either anonsi! 

I am convinced that the same weekend that the rosettes start to be awarded, I must have had one too many  :P and when the alcohol was busy killing brain cells it directly targeted the Chi area of my brain!  ???

I have always tried to keep track of the common words even before the game showed them, and I am sure I did much better before  :)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 12:30:15 PM »
I know what you're saying, Dean.  The other day, one of the last common words that I found was literally "easy".  How's that for mocking?!

Oh and 3B, I thought of you while playing Friday's game--nudest!

anonsi

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 01:22:27 PM »
Hi, anonsi.....do you think there was anyone on the forum whodidn'tget "nudest" ? It's branded on my brain for ever!   ;D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 01:23:23 PM »
Ooooops! Not too good with the old italics there, sorry!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 04:43:06 PM »
Well I really don't have any strong feelings about this. In fact, I wouldn't be bothered by the idea of leaving the hit rate completely out of the ranking. When I introduced the hit rate, I didn't expect that players would strive for 100%. I just thought it would give an indication of how much each player relied on sheer guesswork. (That is, a player with 20% hit rate is obviously playing a different game from someone with 80% hit rate.) So I still think the hit rate should be shown on the Challenge scoreboard.

But if the rosette is part of the ranking system, might there be occasions when a player feels hard done by if it turns out the common word they didn't get is not so common after all? Also, if two players have the same number of words in total, but player A has more common words, it follows that player B must have more rare words. Player B could argue they should be rewarded for having more rare words, rather than penalised!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 02:28:37 AM »
Hi Alan,
what a lot of controversy....
The game is brill just as it is..and if you changed it to suit everybody what on earth would we have to chat about in the Forum.....
If it aint broke don't fix it..is my motto...
Cheers all,
;)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:34:50 AM »
Thanks, Alan, for wading thru all the chattering, and for standing by your system. Sometimes getting through our repartee must be a bit like herding cats!

Cheers,
3-B