Author Topic: Earth Hour 2008 - WWF helps to fight global warming  (Read 4843 times)

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Earth Hour 2008 - WWF helps to fight global warming
« on: February 19, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »
Hi all,  I just signed up to  the new Earth Hour website for 2008 and I thought you might like to take a look and possibly sign up too. Earth Hour is on 29 March 2008 at 8pm, and it looks like it's going to be really big. So far, as well as Sydney, there'll also be Chicago, Tel Aviv, Manila, Copenhagen, Melbourne, Brisbane and Toronto all turning off their lights for an hour in the name of fighting global warming. And I'm sure there'll be more cities by March. Sign up for Earth Hour with me by visiting
http://www.earthhour.org/user/G1bB
and join the movement.

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Hour 2008 - WWF helps to fight global warming
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:43:23 AM »
Canberra has also signed up - much smaller than the other cities, but I guess every little bit helps.
Gaye
   :)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »
I'm all for saving the earth, but I'm just wondering what happens when everyone turns their power back on suddenly!! Might that not cause a giant power surge that will throw everyone back into darkness again? I hope I'm wrong!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »
Does this mean we don't have enough virgins to toss into the volcano?
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »
What a great joke, R-M!  ;D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's a shortage in NYC.  Patience and Fortitude, the lions in front of the NY Public Library, are totally silent.*

* There's a legend that they roar when a virgin walks by, but it's only a legend, since it hasn't happened for a good long time.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:03:33 AM »
Google reminds us that it is "Earth Hour" at this very moment.  I am not participating, so if any polar bears drown, it will be all my fault.  So sorry.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:52:04 AM »
 :-Y :-Y :-Y - me neither ... the earth changes, it evolves, and we may or may not survive. Nature's forces are far beyond our ability to make a significant impact. Ice ages and heat ages will go on -- with or without us.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:34:04 AM »
True, but we're speeding the process up considerably.  So I'll set my clock to remind me to turn off the electricity, and settle down for a candlelit dinner - or maybe I'll just get to sleep at an unusual hour - catching up on all the missed sleep for the last few weeks.

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
Last night we had a very pleasant candlelit dinner, while admiring all the twinkling lights in the valley below us compliments of the many who had not heard of earth hour. Dinner was timed for 8 o'clock. Of course we had to switch off the hi-fi- too. Not used to eating dinner without background music.

By 8.30 we had had enough, so switched the telly on to watch a movie (they all begin at 8.30). And then I responded to some txts to friends which also involved using an electrical appliance. Well, we managed half the time which is better than none I suppose.

R_M that was a fantastically funny comment. Thanks for the guffaw it produced  :D ;D  :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »
Bobbi...shame on you- There you are risking life and limb for Oxfam and the poor Polar Bears can drown...same goes for you RM...  ;)

I would rather batter my kids anyday if it meant saving the Polar Bears....[very tasty battered, especially with chips!!!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »
 >:D