Author Topic: Forum One Year Old  (Read 8217 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Forum One Year Old
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »
The Lexigame Forum has been going for one year. Happy birthday to us!

Actually, a forum had started on this site a couple of weeks earlier than 12 months ago, but when I was forced to change Web hosting companies, I had to start the forum up again from scratch. So our forum history goes back to 3 or 4 February 2007 (depending on your time zone).

And the first message was posted by BiggerBirdBrain. I don't suppose she imagined then that she would have posted a further 6553 messages in the following 12 months.

I certainly didn't imagine the forum would become anything like as active as it has been. And I don't think I can take much credit for the forum's growth. Recently in a game developers' forum, someone started a topic, "How to grow your forum?" I said:

The forum on my site has been busier than I could have imagined - nearly 25000 posts in less than a year. But I can't tell you why that happened, because I don't really know. Moreover, the vast majority of the posts are completely unrelated to my games or anything else on the site. The forum just seems to have attracted some people who like to chat with each other.

Anyhow, the forum is a work in progress, so let's see what the next 12 months brings.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Forum One Year Old
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »
Congratulations on this significant birthday, Alan! 

I've loved playing Chihuahua, but it gets hard to maintain my enthusiasm since my non-game-playing friends tend to get that glazed look whenever I try to explain why I like it so much.  Maybe that's why I've enjoyed the interaction with the other forumites - we may not always be talking about Chihuahua, but at least I don't have to "dumb-down" my vocabulary, and the ones who chime in tend to be friendly, supportive, and vocal.  I have also enjoyed getting to know people in other parts of the country and on other continents - personal connections are a lot of fun.

Thanks for providing this opportunity - I know it's a lot of work for you to keep the word lists up and us in line, but I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:25:26 PM by birdy »

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:20:32 PM »
Oh, yeah -- it really has been great, eh? And all because of good ole Alan's wee brain child (and very hard work), and then one by one, all the other little brain children came out to play -- and look how it's grown!!

And yes, birdy -- you are so right -- no dumbing down here -- in fact, it's been most elevating and uplifting! I have learned tons about my fellow forumites, their habits, quirks, humour, and cultures. We've laughed and cried and moaned and shared so much.

What a wonderful little world this has become! Thanks to one and all!

:-V

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »
H A P P Y     F I R S T     B I R T H D A Y   T O     T H E     
F O R U M                              ! ! ! ! !

The forum certainly adds an extra dimension to the enjoyment of Chihuahua. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:16:42 PM by Alonzo Quixote »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:35:39 PM »
Hear, hear to all the above! 

Congratulations Alan and fellow forumites!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:31:23 PM »
So it's
Happy Birthday to us then....

It's been a great year on the forum....
I have said it before, but will say it again-cos that's the kind of guy i am- this last year would have been much harder for me to cope with without all you forumates...

So Cheers to you all...my Chi friends...here's to many more.  ;D

Thanks Alan...very much indeed... :-*

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:10:25 AM »
Congrats one and all for making this such a brilliant place to be!
And many thanks to Alan for all the hard work in the setting up and maintaining of it :)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:14:17 AM »
The forum on my site has been busier than I could have imagined - nearly 25000 posts in less than a year. But I can't tell you why that happened, because I don't really know. Moreover, the vast majority of the posts are completely unrelated to my games or anything else on the site. The forum just seems to have attracted some people who like to chat with each other.

I'm curious, Alan, as to what the other developers thought about there not being much content on this forum about your games.

Congratulations on creating such a winner of a game, and a place for us all to get together to chat about it. :)

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »
Thanks from me too Alan.
Gaye
   :)

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »
And thanks from me to Alan as well. Your hard work on this website has resulted in great pleasure, stimulation and new and unexpected friendships with delightful people on several continents. Happy Chi Birthday all!

We're off on our cruise to New Caledonia tomorrow, so no Chi for Bobbi for 8 days! Have fun all, chat again soon. XXX

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
Have a lovely time bobbi...
I would say 'don't eat too much', but it's impossible not too apparently...
Enjoy...you deserve the treat.
By the way..if your bag feels extra heavy, it's cos i'm secreted in it!!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »
A thousand thanks, O GAGLE, for the game and the forum and the opportunity you have given us all. I wonder if you had any idea how many friendships would be forged thanks to you ?   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D