Author Topic: Site to be Off the Air briefly  (Read 11883 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: Site to be Off the Air briefly
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 06:44:16 AM »
Disrevgusolting!!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »
A word not in any dictionary, but universally understood!  >:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »
The upgrade has been completed successfully.

Unfortunately, a by-product of the process was that a lot of records for yesterday's puzzles were lost. So if you look back at yesterday's puzzle, your score might be a lot less than you remember. It might not even be there at all. Don't worry, you're not going mad.

You might also have noticed some odd things if you happened to start playing today's puzzle within the first minute or so that it was available.

It's also possible that some posts and messages on the forum sent in the last 20 hours or so might have disappeared.

Another change you might notice is that the time on the server computer is now 17 hours ahead of what it was before. So if you are using the time offset option in the forum, you'll need to adjust that number. (The server is now set to Eastern Australian Summer Time.)

Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience, but the way the upgrade was carried out was beyond my control.

If you notice anything else not working as expected, please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:44:07 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »
Thank Alan - I like that we are now on Eastern Australian Summer Time - helps my befuddled brain. Don't know about the non Aussies - but I reckon when the forum creator is Aussie its only fair!
Gaye
   :)

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »
Today, a day and one half after the website upgrade was finished, I have noticed the following which did not happen before the upgrade—

When one clicks on a word that has been successfully entered to see its definition, the word appears within a small yellow-shaded box.  This was true in the past, before the upgrade. Shortly thereafter, the small yellow-shaded box disappeared.

However, after the upgrade, the small yellow-shaded box does not disappear and, if one looks up more than one word, several small yellow-shaded boxes remain and do not disappear.

I don't know if this is a functional result of the upgrade or not.  Has anyone else noticed this?

I am not familiar with the "time offset function" that Alan mentioned with the time now set to Eastern Australia Summer Time  ("Summertime and the Livin' is Easy"...George Gershwin's Porgy and Bess)Where does one find this function so as to reset it???  (Before the change, the time seemed to be set to CST (Central Standard Time) in the USA.)

Alonzo Quixote

I have just gone back to the puzzle and the "glitch" I described above appears to have resolved itself!!!  That's the way of computers sometimes.

I am still interested to hear about the "time offset function".  Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:03:29 PM by Alonzo Quixote »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 05:29:51 PM »
Alonzo, if you click on PROFILE (in the row of tabs that has HOME, HELP, etc), and then select "Look and Layout Preferences" under "Modify Profile", you should see the Time Offset field. You'll probably need to put in -16 or thereabouts. Then click the Change Profile button at the bottom right.

If you want the time you see to remain exactly right, you may need to adjust it whenever daylight savings starts or ends.

The little yellow boxes that didn't disappear is a phenomenon I can't explain. I haven't noticed anything like that myself. If it's fixed itself up, let's just hope it was a one-off.
Alan Walker

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »
Thank you, Alan. 

A value of -16 has done the trick very satisfactorily!!

I had no idea there are so many parameters that are provided for the Forum!!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 07:39:35 AM »
Hi Alan,
No one else seems to have mentioned this so maybe I'm just lucky - when I open the game itself, I get a message that the site is going to be off the air briefly - but it's for the outage that we had back in the beginning of February.  It's no big deal - I just go to the pulldown menu for the date of the game and it goes away and I can play, but it's been doing this for a few days, so it's affected both this computer (NY) and the one I was using when I was away in California: it's not my-CPU-specific.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »
Perhaps you are lucky, birdy. The message isn't supposed to appear after 2 February. So unless both computers you've used have their dates set back, I'm completely flummoxed.

As the message isn't needed any more, I'll remove it at some point. In the meantime, it looks like you're stuck with it.
Alan Walker

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »
I always did think that machines have personalities of their own - obviously this computer and the California one are playing a joke on me!  As I said, no big deal - I can work around it.

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »
Alan, I'm getting the same thing as Birdy -- I don't use an automatic login (saved passwords) because I use Roboform for security reasons, and that message about the site outage has been coming up ever since the start of the month (disappears after login). I would have mentioned it before if I had realised it was supposed to disappear.  I clear out accumulated pages regularly and my computer is automatically synchronised to the correct date and time, so something odd is happening at the server end, I think.

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »
I believe this problem will go away in the next couple of days - but not through any action on my part: merely through the passage of time.

It seems that the programming language numbers the months starting at zero, so in specifying "2", I was identifying March, not February. So once we hit the 2nd of March, the outage notification should go away. (Those of us whose computers sign us in automatically didn't see it, because our player records flagged the fact that we'd already seen that message.)
Alan Walker