Author Topic: suped  (Read 2299 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
suped
« on: January 05, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »
I got "supe" in yesterday's puzzle - a variant spelling of "soup" - and wasn't allowed "suped" though I found lots of examples of suped using the phrase "suped it up" on Google.  It would seem logical if one is valid, the other ought to be.  And I suppose "suping" (though not in the puzzle yesterday) would be a possibility too. 

Respectfully awaiting your decision, oh GAGL.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: suped
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »
I'm glad you raised this, birdy, because researching the word suped made me aware of a concept I'd not heard of, the egg corn.

An egg corn is a mistaken version of a word or phrase, resulting from a plausible, but incorrect, theory about the expression. Hence, apparently, some people were observed to write "egg corn" for acorn, perhaps believing the name was derived from the shape of the object.

The name egg corn for this kind of error was coined in 2003 on the Language Log website. Other examples are "review mirror" for rear-view mirror and "mindgrain" for migraine. There is a website that catalogues egg corns, The Eggcorn Database, where 597 examples are currently listed.

If enough people use an egg corn, it can evolve into "folk etymology" and perhaps become standard usage. An example of this is the Jerusalem artichoke, the "Jerusalem" part of which is believed to have come from a mishearing of girasole, the Italian word for sunflower (the plant is a variety of sunflower).

So, now, back to suped. The Eggcorn Database lists "supe" for soup, as in the expression "suped-up", under the classification "nearly mainstream". All dictionaries spell the word "soup", with supporting examples going back to the 1930s. So it seems that those writing "supe up" have heard the word and mistakenly assumed it derives from super or supercharge.

However, some of the comments on the Egg Corn Database entry question whether "soup up" might actually be the egg corn. The derivation the Oxford offers for "soup up" does seem far-fetched (an obscure word for liquid injected into a horse) and some dictionaries acknowledge that the derivation may have been "influenced" by super-. It seems conceivable that the word was coined by mechanics and motoring enthusiasts as a shortening of supercharge, but the first person to write it down may have assumed it was the existing word soup.

In any case, there is no doubt that "soup" is currently the standard spelling, but "supe", though apparently recognised by no dictionaries, is quite commonly used, mainly on the Web, but sometimes in periodicals and books.

So, should we accept supe and its inflections as legitimate variants, or ought they to be dismissed as mistakes (that are regrettably common)? This is a tricky question, touching on fundamental issues of linguistic philosophy.

Fortunately, we can evade these issues because suped has another string to its bow. A few dictionaries list supe for a supernumerary, or a superintendent, and in fact supe is allowed in Chihuahua and could be played in the puzzle, as you noted, birdy. I would say this is due to these meanings rather than the "supe up" meaning. However, the Shorter Oxford also lists supe as a verb meaning to act as a supernumerary (or extra) in a theatre. I was able to find a few examples of suped being used in this sense. For example: "I 'suped' all that season, and the next season I got a small speaking part..." (Players of the Present by John Bouvé Clapp & Edwin Francis Edgett, in Google Books.)

So suped is acceptable, if only in the sense of "acted as an extra". I'll add it, and suping, the next time the word list is updated.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: suped
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:00:27 PM »
Thank you for that explanation, Alan.  When I was looking up "suped" on the 'net, it crossed my mind that the sup spelling seemed more likely than soup for a tinkering that was leaving the car superior to the original.

I've never heard the term egg corn, but I've sure seen and heard plenty of examples, "to the manor/manner born" being the first that comes to mind.  And in that case they probably are related, since someone would learn the manner by being reared in the manor.

And unlike my reaction to curry/currie, I quite like Jerusalem artichokes - in fact a neighbor used to grow them in my mother's yard (a long story).