Author Topic: brang  (Read 2965 times)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
brang
« on: December 01, 2007, 07:37:52 PM »
A new word list update, and Dave is already finding more obscure words!  Here's one that's not so obscure and yet is not on the list.  Brang as a preterite of bring is not grammatically correct, but I am given to understand that it is in at least one version of the OED, as its usage is not limited to the United States.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: brang
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 10:52:50 PM »
It's also related to "brung" -- a past participle of bring, which appears in the freedictionary, although it said that was a questionable form. Also, it's probably a grammatically unacceptable form, however, it has been used as well in the vernacular.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »
This is a tricky one, RM. We already allow brung, but that word is listed by a number of dictionaries as a dialect and/or non-standard alternative to brought. However, the only dictionary I have seen that lists brang is Wiktionary, and that labels it as "nonstandard, illiterate", with a further usage note: "Generally used only to convey illiteracy of a particular character within prose."

Actually, from what I can see, brang in dialogue is sometimes used to convey a regional pronunciation of bring, perhaps similar to saying thang for thing.

However, the fact is that many people write brang, at least in informal contexts, like online forums. This can be seen by typing phrases such as "brang it" or "brang up" into a search engine. While it appears that some of the people using this word are aiming for some humorous effect, many seem to be using it simply as their way of expressing the past tense of bring.

Brang was used by Neil Diamond in his song Play Me:

Song she sang to me
Song she brang to me
Words that rang in me
Rhyme that sprang from me

The Satirium website reports that, after years of pressure from the National Association of Sticklers for the Precise Use of English, Neil Diamond admitted that he shouldn't have used the word brang.

An interesting question is, if brang is a dialect word, which dialects? It seems to be variously linked to Scotland, the north of England and the Ozarks. But the Australian Big Footy website has numerous uses of the word, perhaps more than of brung. I'd guess that both brang and brung have arisen independently in many places, by analogy with sing/sang/sung, ring/rang/rung, etc, as suggested by the Neil Diamond lyrics.

To be completely logical, people saying brang should use it only for the simple past tense (the preterite, as RM states) and use brung for the past participle. So, just as you would say, "I rang the bell," but, "The bell was rung every evening," so you might say, "I brang you something," but, "See what I've brung you." However, people seem to use either brang or brung, but not both.

So, where does this leave us. The fact that a word appears in numerous places on the Internet is not conclusive, since any spelling mistake one can conceive of is present on multiple sites. And some of the passages where brang is used are riddled with spelling and typing errors. But there are also examples where a piece of properly spelled and punctuated text contains the word, suggesting that it's a part of the writer's vocabulary.

It seems to me that brang is pretty much in the same boat as brung, although it may be that the latter is somewhat more widely used. So I think we should accept brang, as we do brung.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:26:18 PM »
Thanks for giving this so much consideration, Alan.  I have heard this word used (in real life, not TV or radio) in the past tense, so I know it is more than just a regional pronunciation of "bring."
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area