Author Topic: Cats deserve their own thread!  (Read 47815 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Cats deserve their own thread!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 01:31:28 AM »
Where is the one place a cat can sit but you can't?

Your lap!

What is a cats fave magazine?

Good Mousekeeping

What is a cat's favourite movie?

The sound of mewsic....

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 01:35:10 AM »
What is a cat's way of keeping law & order?
Claw Enforcement.

What do you get when you cross an elephant with a cat?
A big furry creature that purrs while it sits on your lap and squashes you.

What does a cat like to eat on a hot day?
A mice cream cone.

What is a cat's favourite car?
The Catillac.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 01:37:14 AM »
and another goodie:

"Genesis Reworded"

On the first day of creation, God created the cat....
On the second day, God created man to serve the cat....
On the third day, God created all the animals of the earth to serve as
potential food for the cat....

On the fourth day, God created honest toil so that man could labor
for the good of the cat....
On the fifth day, God created the sparkle ball so that the cat might
or might not play with it....
On the sixth day, God created veterinary science to keep the cat
healthy and the man broke....
On the seventh day, God tried to rest, but He had to scoop the litterbox....

Yes, it's a cat's world after all. Amen!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 02:03:01 AM »
Why cats and women are so alike:

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 02:06:29 AM »
Politically correct terms for Cat owners:

My cat does not barf hairballs ... he is a floor / rug redecorator.

My cat does not break things ... she helps gravity do its job.

My cat does not fear dogs ... they are merely sprint practice tools.

My cat does not yowl ... he is singing off-key.

My cat is not a "shedding machine" ... she is a hair relocation stylist.

My cat is not a bed hog ... he is a mattress appreciator.

My cat is not a chatterbox ... she is advising me on what to do next.

My cat is not a dope addict ... she is catnip appreciative.

My cat is not a lap fungus ... he is bed selective.

My cat is not a pest ... she is attention deprived.

My cat is not evil ... she is badness enhanced.

My cat is not fat ... he is mass enhanced.

My cat is not hydrophobic ... she has an inability to appreciate moisture.

My cat is not underfoot ... she is shepherding me to my next destination (the food dish).

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 10:32:31 AM »
Cats always seek out the most inconspicuous location.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 10:37:23 AM »
And, once in place, a feline must do what a feline must do! There are a few simple rules, though.

"Maintaining Your Dignity in Front of a Computer", by Judy Heim:

Remember that you are a creature of beauty and intelligence. If the computer fails to cooperate, simply sigh and turn your head away ever so slowly. Maintain your dignity at all costs.

Flip your tail at the computer's screen if it fails to adequately acknowledge your regal presence. Then gnaw its electrical cords.

Never sit on top of the monitor. You may fall off. But do make sure to drop as much cat litter into its vents as possible.

Never eat shrink-wrap. It's too hard to digest. Try disk labels instead.

Never stick your nose inside a printer that goes "clack-clack" when it's going "clack-clack."

Only walk over the keyboard when you have fresh cat litter between your toes.

When spitting up fur balls, always do so behind the computer where no one will find them.

If the computer gives you a hard time, tear its plastic face off (you know, the one that lists the model number). Bat it around the floor. Then eat it.

While dropping a dead mammal on the keyboard when someone is typing usually never fails to elicit some kind of response, most humans will misinterpret the action. They will think you are offering them a token of affection, when what you are actually trying to tell them is that they should stop fooling around with the computer and go hunt for small rodents before they and their family starve.

Never underestimate the power of stepping on someone when they're trying to use that stupid computer. Should they try to remove you from their lap, grab a lampshade with one paw, flail your back feet in their face, and mew your heart out. Eventually they will return you to their lap. They will apologize, pet you, and feel guilty for having taken you from your mother at such an early age.

Don't let a human con you into thinking it's OK to stroke you with one hand while typing on the computer with the other. You want to be stroked with both hands! You are a direct descendent of the Egyptian cat-goddess Bastet and deserve no less. Should they persist in giving you only half their attention, rise up on  your hind legs and position yourself so that your body obstructs their reach of the keyboard. Flap your tail in their face to make sure that they devote their full attention to you.

For more tips on this and other matters feline, just go to:
http://www.ymmv.com/goodreads/catcomp.html 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:39:47 AM by biggerbirdbrain »

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 12:05:27 PM »
And for a cute video, the website (jibjab) mentioned in the thread recommending websites, just go to:

http://www.jibjab.com/view/194213

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:13 PM »
How to give your cat a tablet...

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe.  Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat's head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap.  Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbour's shed. Get another pill. Place  cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges.  Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road.  Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat.  Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty  pruning gloves from shed. Force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour a pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye.  Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and call local pet shop to see if they have any guinea pigs.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »
 Cats rule the world!

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
A poem I read in a regular column (Ross Campbell I think - father of Little Nell who made her mark in the movie Rocky Horror Picture Show and then went on to open a very famous/popular bar in New York - or was it the other way around?) from the Australian Womens Weekly magasine, many many many years ago and have never forgotten:

I'll come when you call, if I want to
I'll purr if I feel so inclined
We'll live side by side in affection and peace
But you'll never know what's on my mind

Sums up cats beautifully I think.  Dogs are far easier to read!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 09:15:45 PM »
"Comedy Cats" is just so very hilarious!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You MUST check this one out:

http://www.jibjab.com/view/133453

And, yes, g1, that was a very insightful verse... here's a classic, too:

Before a cat will condescend
To treat you as a trusted friend,
Some little token of esteem
Is needed, like a dish of cream.
            ~ T. S. Eliot ~
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 09:19:53 PM by biggerbirdbrain »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »
Geo ... the stuff you wrote about giving a cat a tablet made me laugh ... it is so true!!  My husband has to do it for our cat ... wraps him up tightly in a towel, like a mummy, tries to force open his mouth with one hand and shove the tablet down with the other ... tablet stays in cat's mouth and is then spat out!  Our hunky vet can do it with ease ... the trick is once you've got the tablet in its mouth, clamp jaw shut and stroke cat's throat, forcing him to swallow!!  It's all very stressful and cat sulks for ages afterwards!!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 10:01:58 PM »
Did you check out the video?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 10:13:58 PM »
Just been looking at it ... with my cat ... he heard the cat noises and was mesmerised.  I love the cat going round the rug and the nonchalant one sat in the middle of the aisle cleaning itself! 
What beautiful creatures they are .... far superior to dogs any day!  >:D