Author Topic: Plat -- uncommon?  (Read 3938 times)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Plat -- uncommon?
« on: October 24, 2007, 03:03:51 AM »
We all come at the word lists from our own frames of reference, and a word may strike us as common or uncommon based on our national origin, occupation, avocation, age, or some other factor.  Mostly in this forum we have expressed surprise that such and such a word is common.  However, every time I find the word plat, I am surprised that it is in the less common category.  So I am asking, is plat uncommon outside of the United States?  Or maybe even outside of Virginia?  Around here, when real estate is mortgaged (especially when changing ownership), the mortgage lender requires a plat of the property.  As a consequence, the word plat is in the vocabulary of most Virginia homeowners.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Plat -- uncommon?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:21:26 AM »
It certainly isn't a word that is used here RM...

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:26:44 AM »
It's not a word I've heard used here.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 03:37:40 AM »
It's not a word I've heard used here.

Anonsi, I wonder if that's because Iowa is a public land state, where land divisions tend to be more regular and can be described without recourse to diagrams, or because the mortgage process is different where you are.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:13:12 AM »
Hmm...well it could be because I've never actually bought land before.  From all of the definitions I've seen it looks like a plat is only needed when you buy a parcel of land.  So it's probably just because I've never had to refer to one before.

After looking it up on Google, it seems that plat maps were definitely created for Iowa.

We'll have to see what others from the U.S. know about plats.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 11:57:59 AM »
I have heard the word plat used quite often, R-M, esp. since I cover county commissioners who have to approve plats for homeowners and developers all the time. I thought it's commonly used as well, but lately, my ruminations have so often proven wrong, I never mentioned it.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:26:30 PM »
I don't think plat is used in Australia.

Looking in my trusty Shorter Oxford, I see several entries for the word, occupying about three quarters of a column, with meanings including a flat thing, a surface, a pleat or fold, a plait. However, most of these are identified as "Now arch. & dial.", "obs. exc. dial.", "obs. exc. Sc. dial.", etc.

The meaning "A plan or diagram of something; esp. a ground-plan of a building or of an area of land; a map, a chart" is dated from the early 16th Century, but labeled "Now US".
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:33:03 PM »
See, my point is made (about being wrong, again!). Oh well, no offense taken, the Gagl has spoken!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 06:22:39 PM »
Well, I wasn't trying to close down the discussion, Threeb - just contributing something about what I know, or don't know, about the use of the word plat. (The Oxford Dictionary isn't always right, and it's even been known to happen that I was wrong about something!)
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »
So there's hope, yet?  :angel: