Author Topic: pearlet  (Read 1971 times)

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
pearlet
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:35:42 PM »
I thought this might be a miniature pear but got rejected (story of my life).  It does, however, turn out to have the meaning of a tiny pearl, recorded in the Shorter Oxford from the mid-16th century and also, with a certain inevitability, in the unabridged Webster.  Rare, but surely no more so than at least one exceedingly obscure and decidedly archaic word for a passageway that is included in today's Challenge model...
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: pearlet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:48:17 PM »
Notwithstanding the presence of some very rare words in our existing list, I do feel happier about adding a new word if I can find some evidence that it is, or has ever been, used.

In the case of pearlet, usage examples seem pretty thin on the ground. The only example yielded by the full-text search feature in Project Gutenberg was in Old French Romances, translated by William Morris. But it looks like he was using the word for a bump on the skin. In "The Tale of King Florus and the Fair Jehane", pearlet is used twice:

When night was come Sir Robin went to bed with his wife, who received him much joyously as a good dame ought to her lord; so abode they in joy and in feast the more part of the night.  On the morrow great was the feast, and the victual was dight and they ate.  But when it was after dinner, Sir Raoul bore on hand Sir Robin, and said that he had won his land, whereas he had known his wife carnally, by the token, to wit, that she had a black spot on her right thigh and a pearlet hard by her jewel.  “Thereof I wot not,” said Sir Robin, “for I have not looked on her so close.”  “Well, then, I tell thee,” said Sir Raoul, “by the oath that thou hast given me that thou take heed thereof, and do me right.”  “So will I, verily,” said Sir Robin.

When night was, Sir Robin played with his wife, and found and saw on her right thigh the black spot, and a pearlet hard by her fair jewel: and when he knew it he was sore grieving...

As Morris was aiming to give his translation a mediaeval feeling, he may have invented this usage of the word, so it's probably completely irrelevant, but I didn't want to pass up the excuse for quoting a steamy passage.

However, in Google Books, I was able to find some examples of pearlet being used to mean a tiny pearl, including a figurative use in the following verse in an April 1840 article on "Arabian, Persian and Turkish Poetry" in Dublin University Magazine: A Literary and Political Journal:

KAZIM! each pearlet thy poesy strews is
Cheap at a diadem's value or whose is?
Bankrupt of taste is the dunce who refuses
Verses like thine when their theme is Nourooz'iz!

(I didn't find anyone talking about casting pearlets before piglets, alas.)

So pearlet qualifies, just.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
Re: pearlet
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:01:44 PM »
Crikey, can only admire your thoroughness, Alan.  I think that is a fair enough criterion, too. 

It's interesting that some of these words make it into dictionaries with so little to go on in the way of records of actual usage -- I guess that is where the complete OED is handy, but it's not exactly a quick way to find words (I used to have the second edition on CD-ROM long before I got into word puzzles, and the interface was something that only a mother, or a besotted developer, could love -- think it has been updated but I thought it was too much of a hassle to bother).

I haven't really explored the Google text search capability at all, but it looks like it could be fun.

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…