Author Topic: Aargh!  (Read 6163 times)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Aargh!
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:31:11 PM »
Aargh!  It took me a couple of tries to get the spelling right on this one for the Challenge this past Sunday.  My first try was argh.  When that didn't pan out, I googled it.  Good old Internet...What turned up was this page dedicated to the variant spellings of aargh, http://osteele.com/archives/2005/12/aargh.  A real hoot!

Edit: The original link is dead. I have left it in context for historical purposes, but the new link should be Aargh!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:39:35 AM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: Aargh!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
Obviously someone who had their priorities right.....a whole page dedicated to "aargh" etc......I love it!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
This has come up before, RM. It turns out that three variants are allowable in Chi: aargh, aarrgh and aarrghh. Based on the informative page you linked to, it seems that argh might have a strong case. Dictionaries, other than Wiktionary, don't seem to offer any help on this matter.

If anyone has any thoughts on this matter, give us a yell.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:51:03 PM »
Oh, don't tempt me.....it's too easy!

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 03:45:15 PM »
I do happen to feel like emitting a muted scream at the moment, but can't offer any profound thoughts other than the observation that I've seen the word a million times in comic books (admittedly, not for a goodly time now) and don't remember seeing the argh spelling.  It somehow hasn't quite the onomatopoeic clout of the more extended versions...
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerneā€¦

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:01:56 PM »
I seem to use all three accepted versions, on a daily basis......

As i get progressively more frustrated [word-[?]wise] my aarrgghhssss...get longer and louder...

There is no room for that pathetic little argh....i am never that unfrustrated...

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 12:29:52 AM »
Dave, I actually had no clue as to how the word is really spelled, which is why I tried the simplest first.  I was born in a part of the country where every vowel is an opportunity for a diphthong, so there is a major disconnect between how many a's are in argh versus how many are pronounced.  Oliver Steele's copious and exacting research shows that argh is by far the most common spelling on the Internet.  Aargh and its myraid variants don't even come close.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 06:01:22 AM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days

Well...Not to drag terribly old topics back from the dead...ok, so yes I am.

But was a decision ever made on this? I just tried argh on a random puzzle and I see that it's still not allowed.

While I don't think we want to clutter up the word list with all of the variants, it seems that the simplest is one of the most widely-used spellings.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 06:10:19 AM »
I'm with you on this one, anonsi, especially since it was my suggestion in the first place. Even with statistics on our side, Alan didn't want to accept this without more support from the forum, and we didn't get it. :(

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 08:19:45 AM »
I think I've usually seen aargh or possibly with another a and/or r.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »
This is such a fascinating area for research. For example, is there any correlation between the spelling of aargh and the context in which it is used? If a writer is trying to represent the utterances of a pirate, which variants are most likely to be used? I can see myself getting sucked in to a vortex of never-ending aargh-research. Aaaaarrrrghhhh!

However, sternly confining myself to the central issue, I find that the research findings on The Aargh Page still seem to hold up, three years after they were posted. On each of the three major search engines (Google, Yahoo and MSN), argh is by far the most frequently used variant, followed by aargh and arrgh at about the same level. The same pattern is evident in the Corpus of Contemporary American English: in written texts, argh 28, aargh 14, arrgh 9.

This is actually a little surprising. Aargh seems like the "natural" way to write it. It's the variant that RM used in titling this thread, and it's the variant Oliver Steele used for the name of his Web page on the subject. I suppose we just have to put it down to people's lazy habits - not content with writing "c u" for "see you", they are sloppily dropping As from aargh.

As I noted in my earlier post, the three versions currently allowed in Chihuahua all have the double A (and are the 6th, 7th and 8th words in an alphabetical listing, between aardwolf and aasvogel). I think the usage data warrants the addition of argh and arrgh.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:42:50 PM »
Thanks, Alan! Since I made my original post, I have seen the spelling argh used more than once in the comics pages of our local newspaper but failed to save the same to bolster my case.

Nowadays I often see the word with varying numbers of a's and r's, perhaps an h or two, but no g's, when quoting pirates. I think the pronunciation of a[aaa]r[rrr]g[ggg]h[hhh] is somewhat analogous to what you came up with for larf with relation to laugh. At least in my experience, when people vocalize "aaarrrgh," it usually sounds something like "aaaaugh!"

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 03:14:16 AM »
I thought you all might enjoy this.  At the top of the picture on the right you can barely make out that it says "Argg!!"  First time I've ever seen it spelled that way.

http://www.foundmagazine.com/comments/3647

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 07:29:03 AM »
Poor guy!  in addition to posting a false "found" object, for which he was reamed on the site (yes, I read through the comments), he can't even spell "aargh"!

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »
Haha. I was thinking along the same lines. :)