Author Topic: sala  (Read 2181 times)

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
sala
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:18:03 PM »
This one is unusual, but not obsolete as far as I know, and I felt distinctly rejected when it wasn't accepted :-\.  The Shorter Oxford says:

sala /sɑ:lə/ noun¹. E17.
[ORIGIN Italian, Spanish = salle.]

A hall, a large room; spec. a dining hall.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: sala
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
I can hear the gentle pop of the ring-[!]pull on another can of worms....  :-R

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »
I thought it was a true Spanish word, but not in general use in the English-speaking world like cafe. Hmmmm.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
Well, Threeb, a word doesn't have to be in general use in the English speaking world to be admitted to the Chi word list. It just has to be in some use - now or in the past - and to be considered by some authority or other to have been incorporated into that amorphous mass, the English language.

And sala is listed as an English word by the Shorter Oxford, and also by Random House, according to Dictionary.com.

My edition of the Shorter Oxford has a second entry for the word, defined as, "In the Indian subcontinent: a rest-house, an inn." This word comes from a Sanskrit word meaning a public building. I can't help wondering if there's some ancient Indo-European root word shared by these two words.

Although I think, Dave, that "unusual" might be putting it mildly, the word does seem to qualify.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites