Author Topic: Hello  (Read 635 times)

aka53

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: May 08, 2023, 01:52:47 PM »
Newbie fan of 7-by-many here.  Some of the words interesting because they're unintuitive.

Oops, sorry - forgot UNINTUITIVE isn't a word here.  Maybe only in Oz . . . .

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 02:24:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum aka53. Looking forward to hearing more from you. If you drop a post into the 7 by many club thread you'll become an instant member.

I would perhaps say non-intuitive rather than unintuitive. (I'm an Aussie of many decades' duration, although born and educated in the UK.)

I expect we'll hear more opinions from other forumites.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 02:31:58 PM »
Hi, aka53. Welcome to Chi and the forum. Which part of Oz are you from?

I'd say unintuitive is a pretty strong candidate for future word-hood.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 02:36:11 PM »
I was going to suggest unintuitive as well aka53 - welcome, btw - and add uninvite to the list...

Feel free to drop a post into the 7bm thread to have your achievements chronicled...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 02:33:49 PM »
Unintuitive is in Wiktionary and some of the Oxford dictionaries. The most widely used word with a similar meaning is counterintuitive, according to the 14 billion word iWeb corpus. The next in frequency is unintuitive, with non-intuitive and nonintuitive least used.

Unintuitive is used with similar frequency across the various English-speaking communities.

Counterintuitive is a common word in the Chihuahua word list, though it's not possible for it to be part of a puzzle unless we extend to 16-letter or 9-by-many puzzles. Since unintuitive is used a lot less often, and is absent from a lot of dictionaries, I don't think it qualifies as a common word, but it should and will be accepted as a rare word.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 07:28:23 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

aka53

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Quick CV
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 05:27:24 PM »
We're in Perth - built in '79 and have never moved.  My wife Kay's an Aussie; I am a transplanted Yank, though no longer a US citizen.

I only mess with 7-by-many, aiming to get the word using all 7 letters + reach the Best category.  Not always good enough to do either, but enjoy the mental stretch.  Sometimes Kay helps; she nailed HIERARCHICAL a week or so ago.  Still shaking my head over that one!!!

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 07:40:44 AM »
Wow your wife sounds pretty smart! Anyway thanks for sharing and welcome again.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering