Author Topic: honies  (Read 2593 times)

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
honies
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:36:18 PM »
I'm surprised that this word is not accepted because it's a pretty regular variation on the plural form for this ending.  a current authority: the unabridged Merriam-Webster dictionary, 2002 edition. The dictionary did not list my usual use of the word...

Main Entry: honies    Pronunciation Guide
plural of HONEY
present third singular of HONEY

Citation format for this entry:

"honies." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (2 Sep. 2007).
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: honies
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »
I'm agog with curiosity, Dave. What is your "usual use of the word" honies, that wasn't listed in the dictionary? A Google search quickly turns up Web sites such as "Harlem Honies" and "Hairy Honies" - are these anything to do with it? I suppose you'll be telling us that, as a poet, you visit such sites for the alliteration...

I'm not totally persuaded about this being a "pretty regular variation". I would say it's a pretty obscure and archaic spelling, actually. I suspect it dates from the times when the singular was often written hony. The past participle honied has survived into current usage as an alternative to honeyed, perhaps because of figurative expressions like "honied phrases". (Honied is already allowed in Chihuahua.)

Of course, the word honeys - however it may be spelled - is not used very often, so it's probably not surprising that there are not a wealth of examples from literature of honies. However, a full-text search at Project Gutenberg reveals a few, such as this one from The Children's Pilgrimage by L T Meade (1854-1914):

"Oh! my little Honies," she said, coming forward, "we don't allow dogs in the church..."

Anyhow, as the word is listed in at least one dictionary, I'll allow it into our list.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:28:07 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 04:41:51 PM »
Yep, alliteration is everything!

Seriously, I remember hearing the word years before becoming addicted to dubious Internet sites -- as in the decidedly sexist "what a couple of honies!"  But it wasn't the sort of thing you put into writing, so I guess that is not helpful as far as the spelling is concerned.  please note the poet's mastery of stating the bleeding obvious!

What do you reckon about the unabridged Webster, Alan?  I have not pestered you today with any new words (at least, I don't REMEMBER doing it today), but I did find a couple of words listed in that dictionary that Chi rejected.  I took out an online subscription on Saturday because their website generously offered me one (!) and I don't have easy access to any dictionary at the moment, but I must admit that the late Mr Webster and his successors are starting to make me feel that they want discrimination, as Jane Austen would phrase it.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 05:18:47 PM »
I haven't been able to form an opinion of the current Unabridged Webster (or is it Merriam-Webster?) since I haven't subscribed. One word list compiler (Alan Beale - whose work contributed to our base list, YAWL) called the Merriam-Webster Collegiate 10th edition "the big book of drugs, chemicals and diseases". I would have thought that would appeal to you, Dave? (He went on to say that the Chambers Dictionary "could easily be called 'the humongous book of Spenser, Scots and the Raj,' even though it likely surpasses MW10 in drugs, chemicals and
diseases as well.")

I've never felt I'm in a position to be too selective about which dictionary a word appears in, given that the list we started with contains so many words that are very hard to find in any dictionary.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 06:25:24 PM »
Well, well.  Now that you mention it, Alan, I do have access to the 11th unabridged Collegiate dictionary >:D.  Oddly enough, though, my recent octene is not listed there, but only in the big master dictionary (third edition, publication date given as 2002).  That one claims over 470,000 entries, which, if I remember correctly, is more than the first edition of the OED.  Just has to be a bit of a grab-bag, I suspect... it doesn't provide a great many citations, unlike the big Oxford dictionaries, which is annoying, but I suppose they were economising on paper.  Or something.  Possibly detailed research!