Author Topic: cluier  (Read 7482 times)

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
cluier
« on: August 31, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »
I don't know whether it has been in any dictionary, but the word is used in colloquial Australian and I found a few hits in Australian documents using Google.  And I've tried the bloody thing at least once before, and forgotten that it didn't work, which was quite sufficient reason to make a nuisance of myself again , Alan  ;D!

(For that matter, does cluey qualify?)

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: cluier
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:17:53 PM »
The word cluey is allowed in Chihuahua. I added it to the list last year. For the benefit of people in other parts of the world, it is an Australianism meaning more or less the opposite of the more widely used clueless. That is, cluey means smart, shrewd, resourceful.

I also added words for its comparative and superlative inflections - clueier and clueiest. The former, of course, was playable yesterday, but I guess you didn't try it, Dave. Did I spell these words correctly, or should they be cluier and cluiest?

There was no assistance in the few dictionaries I could find that listed cluey. I reasoned that the issue was whether the y should change to an i. Clueyer looked even stranger than clueier, so I opted for the latter. But on further investigation, perhaps I was wrong. The only similar word seems to be gluey, and there are a few dictionaries that give the inflected forms gluier and gluiest. None give any other versions. And in fact, these (gluier and gluiest) are the forms accepted by Chihuahua.

So how does this construction arise, that replaces an ey with an i? My knowledge of English grammar isn't up to the task of answering that. If I were a bit cluier I probably would be able to. But it does seem as though that is the more accepted usage. So perhaps I should change the spelling of clueier and clueiest. And perhaps it should be a matter of urgency, since I note that the spelling Dave favours would have been possible again today.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 10:24:15 PM »
Wish i could help you Viral....but i haven't got ......

..........the foggiest!!!

It would have been far to easy to say i haven't got a clue....

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:26:39 PM »
Me too/neither!

When you finally figure it out, Alan -- I'm sure you'll cluey/-ir/-est us in. Not an easy task there, yeah?

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »
Alan, your spelling of the comparative is pretty exotic.  I've always known the word as cluier.  The variable treatment of the final "y" has been around in English for a long time in a state of some uneasiness/inconsistency (compare money/monies/moneys), and I don't think there's any definitive explanation apart from the general intuition that there is something slightly odd about that termination that requires special treatment!  Suspect it has been covered in some profound work, but I would hate to dig it up.

I'm about to make another post about a similar problem.  Happy Father's Day!

Cheers,

Dave

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »
Dave, you might think my spelling of the word is exotic, but there are 67 hits for it on Google, as against 85 hits for your spelling and 17 hits for clueyer.

Basically, nobody knows how to spell the damn word!

Things would be simpler if we went back to the older spelling of clue as clew. Then we could write clewier.

Anyhow, I'm relying on the analogy with gluey / gluier / gluiest. I'll allow cluier and cluiest, in place of the existing spellings.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites