Author Topic: Oh happy day!  (Read 11043 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Oh happy day!
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:32:52 AM »
What a magic morning we've had so far, and it's not even 10am!
We were outside this morning, doing our usual happy pottering about in the garden, when we heard some familiar Eastern Rosella noises. (Yes, I know I mentioned them before, but heaven knows in what thread.) They're still fairly timid, so we tried to make no sudden movements. We've been speculating about the possibility of the birds having a nest somewhere, because whereas a male and female used to come down to feed together, they've been coming one at a time for some weeks. Two birds arrived this morning, however, and to our delight, one was a baby! Fully fledged, but much paler than the adult male, though not much smaller. To those of you who aren't that interested in birds, this will no doubt sound ridiculous, but we're both absurdly pleased, and feel positively special. 
When they arrived, Klas proceeded to edge backwards towards the house for the camera (can you proceed backwards ?) and I carried on weeding, very, very slowly.......heaven knows what we looked like! As is always the way in this sort of situation, just as he came out with the camera, something frightened them off. Ah well, hopefully they'll be back.
That is the end of my show and tell for today. (rather more tell than show!)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:35:37 AM by Binkie »

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Oh happy day!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 09:37:02 AM »
What a delightful adventure, Binks!! I love all that bird-watching -- and yes, it is a delicate and precarious art! Thanks for sharing that -- I lived it through you and it was joyous!!  :angel:

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »
Glad someone understands !  It doesn't take a lot to please us simple folk........

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »
Yes, but we who appreciate those little things take far less maintenance!!!  :angel:

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:45:14 AM »
I never thought of it in quite those terms.....quite a feather in our caps, to use an appropriate phrase.  :D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:47:01 AM »
... not to mention well-feathered nests!!  ;)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:48:57 AM »
You 2 are a right pair of twitchers...
Pluck off with this feathery chat....
Nice story though Binks...all i've seen today are crows...old ones at that...

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:50:11 AM »
That's funny, T -- we've got a rot-gut whiskey here called "Old Crow" !

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:50:54 AM »
Here we go......you're about to start raven, aren't you?   I know you, you'll be dartering heron there, robin everyone of their ideas, crowing about it and swan. You'll live to egret it, though!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:56:08 AM »
All i'm hoping to get is thrush...!!!  :laugh:

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 11:58:03 AM »
Post some piccies!  I'd like to see what your garden looks like.  Since you seem to spend so much time in it, it must be enjoyable.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 12:04:35 PM »
Blast!  I just tried to post a picture of the rosella, and it was too large. Shall have to ask He Who Knows All how to shrink a picture..........

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 12:23:37 PM »
Alan!  I think that is a hint to you!

Thanks for trying, Binks.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 12:30:40 PM »
Binkie, I assumed you were alluding to your husband as "He Who Knows All", but in any case, a fairly straightforward method I often use to shrink an image file is to right click on the file name and select Send to ... Mail Recipient, then accept the option of compressing the file. This should then open a new email message with the picture attached - right click on the attachment and select Save as.. and save the file wherever you wish. You can then close the email message without sending it anywhere, and the new image file should be small enough to post on the forum.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »
Funny you should say that, Alan.....while I was posting, I nearly put "Husband, not Alan" in brackets! Still, if the cap fits........
Thank you for the advice - I'll give it a go, since the Other Who Knows It All  is still otherwise occupied and hasn't got round to showing me yet!