Author Topic: New Word Suggestion  (Read 4642 times)

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
New Word Suggestion
« on: March 16, 2007, 01:38:52 PM »
Alan: 

I notice that the word dias is not allowed, I am not sure if this falls into the "it ends in 's' " category, but I definitely think it qualifies under the rules. 

Also, I notice that in your latest additions to the list you did not include the word penpal, did you change you mind on that one, or was it just an oversight?

This sounds so negative, and I certainly didn't mean it that way!  Keep up the good work!

Dean

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Word Suggestion (slight SPOILER ahead)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
Hi Dean

When you say "dias", would you be thinking of "dais" by any chance?

As for "penpal", you're right - it was an oversight. Thanks for reminding me - I had a nagging feeling there was another word to go in, but somehow I didn't spot your email. It will go in shortly.

[My first response when Dean suggested "penpal" was to say that it was hyphenated or two separate words in every dictionary I checked. But then I saw a recent edition of the Macquarie that had it as one word, so I revised my opinion.]
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: New Word Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 11:51:17 PM »
Yes ... Complete Brain Cramp!  I actually just typed it into google as "define: dias" becuase I was quite sure it was correct, and it came up with the definition I was expecting so I didn't look at it too closely.  Mea Culpa.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Word Suggestion
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »
I've found that if you mis-spell a word in a Google query, you usually get a number of results anyway - from Web sites that have mis-spelled the word in the same way. This can be a trap, because you think you're looking at a cross-section of pages dealing with a topic, but actually you're seeing only the pages produced by careless or ignorant people!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites