Author Topic: phaser?  (Read 3150 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
phaser?
« on: August 26, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »
Need I even ASK why this isn't on the list (or memory might fail me)? Star-Trek anyone?? Very disappointed to have it cast aside like an insignificant and non-existent word!  :'( :'(

PLEASE? More porridge, sir? I'll be good -- I promise! I'll even give away my last morsel of bread!

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
Re: phaser?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:05:07 PM »
I remember raising this one before, threeb, although I can't locate the post -- I don't really buy the Star Trek argument, but the word also applies to gadgets in audio processing (you get a weird effect by shifting the signal phase, and it is to be found in both hardware, like synthesisers and guitar modules, and in audio software). our fearless leader didn't like it, so maybe we should get up a petition  :).

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »
Untrue, Dave! I'm pretty sure phaser hasn't been raised before. You may be thinking of panner, which I accepted.

Phaser, in the audio context, is in some editions of the Oxford, so I'll be happy to add it, without having to make a ruling on the relevance of Star Trek terminology.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »
Sorry, mate, I'm confusing it with something similar that also had a Star Trek connection but I have no idea what it was.  At the time, somebody advanced the hopeful argument that any Klingon would have understood it immediately -- might have been Rogue-mother, come to think of it.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »
That sounds about right, Dave.

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 03:27:36 PM »
"Decloak” -- that was the word!  But, not for the first time, I'm wondering about losing too many brain cells -- have no idea why I thought (admittedly, vaguely!) that there were some audio connotation with that one.  ???

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:25:25 PM »
Glad the GAGL finally accepted my word -- and, for whatever reason. The Star Trek thing was more familiar to me than the audio gadget reference since I have absolutely no idea about electronics and how they work inside -- I just enjoy the output!!