Author Topic: roid?  (Read 1809 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
roid?
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:09:48 PM »
Alan -- this word has started entering the daily lexicon and is now being found in several forms.

Although "roid" is often spelled as 'roid (as in steroid and hemorrhoid), I've also started seeing it more and more without the apostrophe in other writing -- such as when referring to computer language, and in the Urban Dictionary where it defines the word in context with "roid-rage".

Whaddya think?

Humbly submitted,
3-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: roid?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »
I was in two minds about this, Threeb, even though I've tried playing it myself from time to time.

I haven't found a dictionary entry for roid meaning steroid without an apostrophe in front of it. A couple of dictionaries have roid rage with no apostrophe, but don't have roid by itself. And as you know, I'm not keen on "words" that only ever appear as part of a phrase. However, in this case, it does seem likely that people discussing roid rage might also use roid to name the alleged cause of the problem. And as it is a subject matter of fairly recent origin, the lack of dictionary support may be because the usage hasn't been picked up on by the dictionaries yet.

I also found from the Shorter Oxford that roid can mean "stout, strong; violent, rough" and "rude; large, unwieldy". These meanings are described as long obsolete except for dialect, but they help tip the balance.

So, I will add roid to our list.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: roid?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »
Thanks, Alan -- you've made my day!! But, I will have another suggestion ... see new thread!