Author Topic: Sans  (Read 2809 times)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Sans
« on: August 23, 2007, 05:00:42 AM »
GAGL, I'm playing a random puzzle and find that "sans" is not accepted.  This is a fine old Shakespearean word frequently used today without italics.  Shouldn't this be on the approved list?
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sans
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »
I think you're right, R_M!

Many dictionaries list sans, meaning "without", variously described as "archaic", "literary" and/or "jocular". The best-known literary use is probably in Shakespeare's "All the world's a stage", in As You Like It:

Last scene of all,
   That ends this strange eventful history,
   Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
   Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

This is only one of 12 occasions when Shakespeare used the word.

Many dictionaries give an anglicised pronunciation, rhyming with pans, surely a sign that the word has been assimilated into English.

Actually, the reason it's not in our list already is that it was picked up as a plural. There is a word san, with various meanings, including a colloquial term for a sanatorium. But I don't think this fairly rare word should rule out sans - it seems to be used for "without" much more frequently than as the plural of san.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:24:22 PM »
I'm most familiar with the term being used for fonts.  As in, this is a sans serif font.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »
I can see the logic, but I'm glad you agree with me!  San is not part of my vocabulary, but I have been using sans ever since my first year of high school, when we studied As You Like It.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:25:10 AM »
As sort of a side note to this, today I found the word certes in one of the random puzzles, another fine old Shakespearean word.  Apparently there is no word in the approved list whose singular form is certe.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:02:16 AM »
Besides, I've seen it used in recent times as well, so it's not even so obsolete that it's fallen out of the lexicon completely. I totally agree -- sans doubt!