Author Topic: diac  (Read 2098 times)

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
diac
« on: August 17, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »
This is another technical word, I know, but why does the word list include triac but not diac?  They are very similar semiconductor devices, so it seems a pretty arbitrary omission.  Information available here: http://www.americanmicrosemi.com/tutorials/diac.htm

I wouldn't have brought this up if it wasn't one of those words that I keep entering to no avail.  And yes, ladies, I have to acknowledge that it probably means I am losing my mind.  (A kind of pre-emptive strike, there!)

What do you reckon, Alan?
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerneā€¦

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: diac
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 12:14:54 PM »
What do you reckon, Alan?

Well, I reckon it probably does mean that you're losing your mind, Dave. But then, that might mean you were becoming a maniac. But knowing all these words, and what they mean, shows you're definitely not an amnesiac. Indeed, some might say you were a brainiac.

Anyhow, as regards diac, it seems the lexicographers have taken against it for some reason. It's missing from the Shorter Oxford and the Random House Unabridged, even though both of these list triac. How unfair is that? Perhaps it's because the triac has more practical applications. From what I can see, a diac is often used in conjunction with a triac, but somehow the triac gets most of the credit for the job - more favouritism.

I think this is a case where we could justify allowing a technical word, even though it doesn't seem to be listed in general dictionaries. I would guess that anyone who was likely to know or use the word triac would also know or use diac, so, as we allow the one, we should also allow the other. Maybe this will stop the word from turning into a paranoiac.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites