Author Topic: How 9-letter Words are Selected  (Read 11762 times)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
How 9-letter Words are Selected
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:26:00 AM »
Will it be possible to see the exact same daily puzzle twice?  i.e. On days that there is more than one possible nine-letter word (like today) are all words up for grabs as a daily puzzle option? ???  Does that make sense?

Thanks,
anonsi

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: How 9-letter Words are Selected
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:30:53 AM »
Hi Anonsi,
How you doing?
I do believe,[but could be wrong] that i have seen the same 9 letter word twice within the space of a week. The difference between them was the 'significant' letter, which changed, resulting in a whole new set of words to be found.
If [and it's a big IF] my memory has served me right i think it was about a year ago.
One day there was about 150 words and in the latter puzzle about 80ish.
I'm sure the wordmeister will confirm, or not, as the case may be.
Your question is a bit of a conundrum though?
Regards as always,
Technomc  ;)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »
I do believe T might be right, Alan. Have you kept a running list of words (in each category) and when they were played?

???
3-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:52:13 AM »
Well, you're right, Tec and Beeb, the same 9-letter word did come up twice, but it wasn't meant to happen. I discovered it later and thought I'd got away with it, but I obviously can't put anything over on you lot! (I'd actually played both puzzles myself without noticing anything was wrong - I probably just assumed I must have had the word recently in a random puzzle.)

For the trivia buffs, the word was flabbiest (appropriately enough perhaps - my programming skills had seemingly been at their flabbiest), and it came up in the Challenge puzzles for 27 and 31 December 2006. The first time the mandatory letter was S and there were 109 words possible; four days later the mandatory letter was A and 134 words could be made.

The way things are meant to work is that no nine-letter word that has been used in a daily puzzle can be used again, even with a different compulsory letter. Obviously, that rule will have to be relaxed eventually, but at the moment we still have over three thousand eligible nine-letter words that haven't been used in daily puzzles. (Although most of them have been used in random puzzles.)
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:12:37 AM »
Hola Alan,
Well, my memory wasn't far off, i got nearly all the facts right ...just a bit off here and there..i am well impressed with myself for remembering that...i have just given myself a pat on the back... ;D
...my senior, tall, blonde moments aren't as bad as i thought...perhaps senility hasn't set in just yet..but then as we all now know..[well all those that read my 'health benefits of Chi' post] playing this game staves it off..i am the proof of the pudding.
And just to compound that theory i am going to stop waffling on now and go and make sure i haven't forgotten my passport...now where did i put it???
Adios amigos,
Buenos noches,
Technomc  8)