Author Topic: shuffle results  (Read 11631 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
shuffle results
« on: March 31, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
I just read the results of the newly introduced shuffle feature, and I believe you might have missed the point.

The results of including the shuffle feature are mostly inconclusive, in terms of the total scores, but that is not really the point.  If people find the game more enjoyable with the shuffle feature, then I would count it as a success.

Good onya!  (hope I pronounced that right)
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: shuffle results
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »
Yes, your pronunciation is impeccable!

I agree, the aim is to make the game more enjoyable, not to improve people's scores, although the two can go hand-in-hand.

If the goal was simply to increase scores, we would go for something like Chihuahua Assist, the hoax tool that was announced one year ago tomorrow (i.e. on April Fools' Day) and exposed a few days later. (And since I've drawn attention to the date, you can take it there won't be any hoaxes this year. But as for next year...)
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 09:44:23 PM »
I have had a busy day and not had much time to spend on Chihuahua, was feeling pretty tired and frustrated because I couldn't find the second 9 letter word in Today's Challenge puzzle.  I was just about to give up and go to bed, when I hit the shuffle key one last time and two letters were placed together in the right order to give me the key.  I am now going to bed satisfied. :D  So yes the shuffle key is great - sometimes I forget to use it and then suddenly remember it and usually find a whole lot more words.  Every change you make Alan makes it a little more enjoyable - so thanks once again.
Gaye
   :)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:03:28 PM »
I, like Gaye, have found the shuffle helpful sometimes in the most unexpected ways. It's a good thing.

But Alan, I'm a bit saddened  :'( that there might be no April Fool's tomfoolery. But then, you might have just said that to distract us from you MASTER PLAN.

Regardless (not, irregardless, as so many people mistakenly say), the game has become more and more fun, which is why we just, as your proper and obedient pups-in-training, keep, as we might say, just "lap it up."  :)

Cheers,
B-B-B

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:41:20 AM »
i thought lst year's chi assist april fool feature was very funny, but maybe it did malke the people who responded feel "foolish", so amybe not such a good thing - alan, did they keep playing or were they turned off by your hoax?
Viz

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »
Viz, most of the comments on the Chihuahua Assist plan were anonymous, so I can't tell if they kept playing, although I'd be pretty sure "pissed off with the artificial targets" didn't. But at least a couple of the people who wrote in expressing their reservations about the idea are still regular players.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites