Author Topic: Request for consistency - Lustreless, lusterless  (Read 115 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Request for consistency - Lustreless, lusterless
« on: March 26, 2024, 03:25:29 PM »
Hi Alan,

I believe Lustre and Luster are considered to be the same word with legitimate different spelling. Both are classified as common.

Therefore, I assume Lustreless (common) and Lusterless (rare) are considered to be the same word.

I am indifferent about whether they are classified common or rare, but I believe they should be classified the same.

It is not a priority but could you have a look at this when time permits, please?.

Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Request for consistency - Lustreless, lusterless
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 02:36:46 PM »
I agree the two words should be treated the same.

My initial thought was that the word - with either spelling - is rarely used, and some players might not have noticed its existence as a word. That does seem to be the case, although lustreless is occasionally used in US publications. And it's occasionally used in a figurative sense, as in this from the Telegraph (UK) in 2016:

This was the day after England had drawn 1-1 in a lustreless performance against the Republic of Ireland in their first match of Italia '90.

However, for every use of lustreless in this sense there are about a thousand uses of lacklustre.

In future lustreless will be classed as rare, like lusterless.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites