Author Topic: Word suggestion: uninstall  (Read 418 times)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Word suggestion: uninstall
« on: February 17, 2024, 08:53:53 AM »
This was a word I tried in yesterday’s NAUTILUS 7-by-many puzzle. I was very pleased too, as it had taken me a while … and I’m not known for my technical vocabulary. Alas, it took a while longer to find the expected word as ‘uninstall’ was not known.

When I did a search to check it’s not been suggested before, it did come up in a few threads but just as part of the conversation - including at least one by our esteemed adjudicator!

I don’t know why, but ‘uninstal’ doesn’t seem right as an alternative. I’ve never seen it, either, though logic says it could exist? But I think ‘uninstall’ should be added - maybe even as a common word?

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: Word suggestion: uninstall
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 11:07:56 AM »
Hear, hear.

A common word I reckon what with people installing and uninstalling software on a regular basis.

Guy

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 04:28:01 PM »
I second/third the suggestion.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 06:52:31 PM »
We are on a roll with the tech jargon!! Another one that even I tried! Christine

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 03:19:42 PM »
Sounds like a winner to me.
Stevens Point, WI

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 11:31:25 PM »
I tried both variants and was astonished that neither was accepted as a word and fully expected them to be common... :-P :-P :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 12:58:43 PM »
I tried both too - just in case. I think I tried uninstall a couple of times - convinced I must have misspelled it!

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 03:01:59 PM »
ditto, for both spellings 

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 04:06:35 PM »
The first recorded use of uninstall known to the OED was in 1981, but it became more frequently used around the late 1990s. It's mostly used in connection with uninstalling software programs, but it can also refer to hardware, e.g. uninstalling a printer. It's quite rarely used in a non-technology context, as in this from a piece in the New Yorker last October about the Hamas terrorist attack on Israel:

...my older sister...busy uninstalling Giacomettis from the walls of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, where she works, for safekeeping amid the rocket fire.

It seems to be widely enough known to be accepted as a common word. However, the variant with one L, although listed as an option by dictionary.com, is very rarely used - the double-L version is several hundred times more popular it seems.

I'll add uninstall, uninstalling and uninstalled as common words, and uninstal as a rare word.

Currently instal and install are both classed as common, but it appears that instal is a very rarely used spelling, so maybe that should change. Any thoughts?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Wibbly Bits

• Logologist
  • Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 05:07:09 PM »
If it was up to me, instal can be downgraded to rare.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:58:08 PM by Wibbly Bits »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 05:48:53 PM »
Wow so many bold and quick decisions. I thought instal with one l must be American. Not so? If not then ok make it rare. Uninstall is very foreign to me but I’m not tech-savvy.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 06:35:58 PM »
I'm surprised that instal is so rarely used.  I've always thought it was the British/Australian version of the word and install was the American version.  So I've always been happy with both versions being common. 

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 11:48:12 PM »
I was the other way round: install my (Australian) spelling, and instal someone else's. But I've always entered both spellings to be on the safe side.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 11:46:54 AM »
I'm surprised that instal is so rarely used.  I've always thought it was the British/Australian version of the word and install was the American version.  So I've always been happy with both versions being common.

Same - to me, it’s like enrol, fulfil etc. I lean towards the single personally, but enter both and am happy for both to be common.

That’s why it was surprising that ‘uninstal’ seemed so alien to me - I suppose it has its roots in Silicon Valley or somewhere so I’ve never come across it with a single l? But then, I’ve never claimed to make sense!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 02:45:38 PM »
In 30+ years of working in Information Technology, I never saw an American company use anything other than install / uninstall.