Author Topic: gelignite common?  (Read 932 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
gelignite common?
« on: October 09, 2023, 03:36:05 PM »
I just finished a 'Your Puzzles' game which had gelignite — not only as a common word but as the seed word! (It was the only common word I didn't get in this puzzle.) I don't recall ever encountering this word before and had to look it up ... and it still doesn't seem common to me. What do others think?

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: gelignite common?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 04:19:07 PM »
Well known to me but that may just be a misspent youth watching westerns where they used it to blow up bridges...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 04:39:30 PM »
It is also well known to me.  It may have been because a well-publicised sportsman had the name "Gelignite" Jack.

John Eric Murray, also known as Gelignite Jack, was an Australian racing driver and sportsman. Jack was a colourful character who participated in the REDEX Round Australia Reliability Trials in the 1950s. He was most remembered for his participation in the 1954 trial, which he won driving a six-year-old Ford nicknamed the Grey Ghost12. Jack’s habit of blowing up outback toilets earned him the nickname Gelignite Jack.   

Regards, Jack

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 05:33:39 PM »
It is a LOT more common to than Urethaning

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 06:03:32 PM »
Gelignite is very common to me.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 01:19:19 AM »
Anyone who lived through what was, with massive understatement, labelled "The Troubles" here in the UK, is familiar with a wide range of names of explosives that were used in bombs by groups such as the IRA. Gelignite was an early choice, along with ANFO (a mix of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil, hence the initials - check out the recent explosion in Beirut to see how devastating anything involving ammonium nitrate in quantity can be).

Later on, the IRA acquired Semtex - a powerful plastic explosive that could deliver widespread destruction in much smaller quantities, and hence allow the construction of compact, easily concealed but lethally effective bombs. The emergence of Semtex on the terrorist landscape concentrated political minds in an ominous manner.

Anyone outside the UK unfamiliar with this period, can be pointed at several key incidents that bring home how the British public came to know more about high explosives than it wished to. The Brighton Hotel Bombing (an attempt by the IRA to wipe out the government during the Tory Party conference) and the high street bombing in Warrington (just 8 miles from my home) spring to mind here.

30 years of that sort of activity leaves a lasting impression on the public that lived through it.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 01:21:13 AM »
It is a LOT more common to than Urethaning

In YOUR experience.

According to the Ngram Viewer, the noun from which urethaning is derived is far more common than the noun gelignite.

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 02:02:53 AM »
Yep, in my experience. And I was talking about "urethaning", not urethane.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 02:20:21 AM »
According to some information I've just been reading, the IRA used 44,000 pounds of
 gelignite in various bomb attacks over the 30 year period in question I mentioned above. In these circumstances, you would expect gelignite to be a common word here ...
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 09:35:56 AM »
Yes, GELIGNITE is common enough to me.

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 12:36:58 PM »
Since replies have been consistently affirming gelignite as common, I took a look at the Ngram Viewer. Very interesting. There is a large difference between its frequency in American English and British English. In American usage the word has never been much used. In British English, its usage took off in the late 1880s [Alfred Nobel invented the stuff in 1875] and despite being on an overall decline since circa 1910, remains much more frequently used in British English. It does appear to have always been rare in American English.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 03:37:09 PM »
I have to say that gelignite is quite unfamiliar to me.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 08:11:28 AM »
Hard not to be common for me. I grew up on a farm, and during a particularly long drought my father sunk a well using hand tools and gelignite. The gelignite was stored in a stack of cardboard boxes in a shed and left there for some years after. My father did not seem at all concerned that as an eleven year old boy I was fascinated by the stuff, which by this stage had gone soft and was starting to ooze. Maybe he was right and it remained safe until detonated with a basting cap, which I'm sure he never let me know about.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2023, 08:28:24 AM »
Wow as a parent I find that alarming! But I grew up when my parents thought nothing of smoking in the car etc., not in the same category as explosives around the place though!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2023, 11:49:18 AM »
Wow as a parent I find that alarming! But I grew up when my parents thought nothing of smoking in the car etc., not in the same category as explosives around the place though!

Time have changed ... a lot.

My father smoked in the car and in the house. Today, I'm told most smokers won't smoke in their own house.

As a kid, I didn't even have access to a bike helmet. Today, I believe a parent would be in big trouble (have child taken into protective custody?) if their child did any bicycle riding without a helmet.

It was routine as a young lad to walk around town by myself, to go play at the park by myself. That's another thing which is no longer done.