Author Topic: fungoid is common???  (Read 251 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
fungoid is common???
« on: September 25, 2023, 10:02:18 AM »
I don't think so. What do others think?

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: fungoid is common???
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 10:08:35 AM »
When you get it as an infection between the toes, it is all too common...  :-R :-R :-R
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 11:46:50 AM »
Even with my background in scientific literature, this isn't a term I recall encountering often. Fungal is a different matter of course, one that's almost certainly familiar to many here. Can't even think immediately of a scientific context in which I would encounter fungoid, unless I delved into the wilder prairies of the protist literature, where all manner of single celled weirdness can drop up.

For those who, as a tangential diversion, want at least one example of said weirdness, try Warnowiids. These are single celled plants (related to dinoflagellate red algae), but, wait for it, have eyes. Not just simple eye spots either, but eyes possessing internal structure, in some cases considered to be comparable in sophistication to some vertebrate eyes. But the eyes in question aren't connected to a brain, because brains are entities that only multicellular organisms possess.

So, for all I know, someone has discovered some weird protist with some fungal features, and used the term 'fungoid' to describe it. But if so, it'll be completely new to me, and the resulting biological chimaera will likely end up inspiring some future Alien style horror science fiction.

I'm now inspired to go trawling the literature just in case someone has actually found such a micro-beast ...:)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 12:11:14 PM »
I did not find fungoid but that being said I have definitely heard of it. Well done those that did! Common? That’s another thing.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 12:13:26 PM »
Heh, wouldn't you know it, one has been hiding in plain sight all along before me!

There's a nasty disease called "Neon Tetra Disease", that affects these fish, and its caused by a single celled (and free swimming) aquatic fungus called Pleistophora hyphessobryconis, one of the Microsporidians.

If this attacks your Neon Tetras, they're dead. No cure yet exists, and the disease destroys the fish from the inside out in about 2 to 3 weeks. Lingering, painful death for the fish. Humane euthanising is the only option.

Thanks to molecular phylogeny, there's been a big upheaval in the world of protists, which now includes organisms that you wouldn't think of as being closely related at first sight. But, apparently, the closest relative to some single celled brown algae is Kelp, which grows to be anything up to 500 feet in length!

There's some weird organisms been regrouped as fungi as well. The curious will find much hilarity awaits. :)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 02:52:34 PM »
It seems that fungal is used hundreds of time more frequently than fungoid - More than a thousand times as often according to the News on the Web corpus. The meanings of the two words overlap substantially, although I have a feeling that fungoid may have more of a sense of resembling a fungus in appearance, rather than actually related to a fungus.

In any case, I'll make fungoid rare from now on.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 01:44:07 AM »
I missed this discussion, but that seems like a good call, Alan!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 02:55:36 AM »
Thanks, Alan