Author Topic: Saturday 20 May 7-by-many PASTIME puzzle  (Read 378 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Saturday 20 May 7-by-many PASTIME puzzle
« on: May 21, 2023, 03:51:56 PM »
TIMESTAMP – an indicator of when something happened https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/timestamp (potential seed word and, IMHO, one which could be considered common)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Re: Saturday 20 May 7-by-many PASTIME puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 04:29:37 PM »
SITEMAP - Any nerd knows this! And so does Wikipedia.

Even though the heading is two words, throughout the text it is just one word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_map
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 04:38:23 PM by yelnats »

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 09:25:00 PM »
I tried them both, but wasn't too surprised or disappointed when they were rejected.

DragoMuseveni

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 07:19:23 AM »
I came here to say the exact same thing.

Absurdly common words like TIMESTAMP and SITEMAP aren't in this game's database, yet words that are obscure-to-me such as "beerier" and "sisal" are considered "common". There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to what makes a word common or not in this game. That said, both TIMESTAMP and SITEMAP deserve to be common words.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 07:44:44 AM »
I'm not sure I'd agree with your statement that they're 'absurdly common' but I suspect the reason they're not in the game's database is because it was originally formed before these words came into being.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 09:25:48 AM »
Dear DragoMuseveni, I felt the same way when I started playing nearly seven years ago. It drove me nuts and I’d often talk to my sister-in-law (Doxydaisy) about why one word was rare and one was common.
Over time I’ve calmed down and just try to think of it as a learning experience and a way of expanding my knowledge.
After all, it’s just a game. I enjoy words and reading and scrabble and discussing things like this.
Thanks for contributing.
I don’t play the seven by many because I’m flat out with the other games but do admire those that do, there’s something for everyone and I am very grateful for Alan who runs this site, for no personal gain other than his and our enjoyment.
So when a word comes up that doesn’t make sense to you, feel free to post your surprise and quite often other people will agree with you and Alan will in time review it and it may be changed. Or not!
Either way it’s a great way to pass some time and when I joined my mother was dying and it just gave me something to do to help cope with my excess energy and help take my mind off bad things for a little while.
Since then I’ve continued to play because the forum is mostly fun too and pretty much every day I learn something new.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 09:59:26 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Jacki said...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 01:48:33 AM »
Absurdly common words like TIMESTAMP and SITEMAP aren't in this game's database, yet words that are obscure-to-me such as "beerier" and "sisal" are considered "common". There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to what makes a word common or not in this game. That said, both TIMESTAMP and SITEMAP deserve to be common words.

Different people have different vocabularies and different ideas as to what constitutes commonness.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 04:30:59 PM »
Dictionaries mostly list time stamp as two words, some of them with a hyphen.

The only dictionary I saw with the single word variant timestamp as its principal entry was Wiktionary. Merriam-Webster recognizes timestamp as an alternate form for the noun time stamp, but has time-stamp, with a hyphen, as the verb, with no alternative.

Nevertheless timestamp is widely used for both the noun and the verb, so it's clear that we should allow timestamp, timestamping and timestamped as valid words.

According to the OED time stamp has been in use since 1855 as a date stamped on a letter or document, but of course it's become much more widely used in recent years for a piece of digital data accompanying a file or electronic transmission. A lot of news stories using the word are about timestamps cited as evidence of when a photo, video or sound recording was made, or the creation date of a document.

There are some signs the word is starting to creep into less digital contexts: the Times of London wrote in December 2022 about footballer Beth Mead, recovering from an ACL injury.

“I’m two weeks post-op now and I’m in a really good position,” she said. “It’s difficult to put a timestamp on it with this injury...”

I'm going to follow my usual practice with new words, of inserting it as rare, especially in view of the prevalence of two-word versions.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 03:06:11 PM »
Sitemap is sometimes written as one word; sometimes as two. Looking at newspaper websites for example, the Melbourne Age has a link to a Sitemap at the bottom of each page, but the New York Times and the Times of London each has a Site Map.

Among dictionaries, Wiktionary has sitemap as an alternative spelling of site map, Collins has site map with no alternative, and other dictionaries have neither.

Is sitemap a common word? Wikipedia helpfully tells us:

There are three primary kinds of sitemap:
  • Sitemaps used during the planning of a website by its designers.
  • Structured listings intended for web crawlers such as search engines.
  • Human-visible listings, typically hierarchical, of the pages on a site.

My impression is that the third of these types has fallen out of vogue somewhat over recent years. This may explain why the Google Books Ngram Viewer shows peak use of the word in around 2007, dropping by about two thirds by 2019. In the News on the Web corpus most of the uses of the word in recent years have been in publications like Search Engine Journal and Search Engine Land. This suggests that most contemporary writing about sitemaps relates to the second of the types listed by Wikipedia: a directory to be used by computer programs, not human readers.

I'll add sitemap as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 07:48:33 PM »
On behalf of timestamp - thanks, Alan...

As for sitemap, I'll leave that for yelnats to respond... >:D >:D >:D