Author Topic: Thursday 18 May 7-by-many ERUPTIVE puzzle  (Read 216 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Thursday 18 May 7-by-many ERUPTIVE puzzle
« on: May 19, 2023, 02:16:41 PM »
RIVETTER – riveter is accepted but I contend rivetter is just as valid… https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/rivetter
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: Thursday 18 May 7-by-many ERUPTIVE puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 04:05:33 PM »
I searched in the Macquarie dictionary for rivetter.  It responded "Sorry, We could not find "rivetter" in the Dictionary.

I searched in Merriam-Webster and it responded "“rivetter”. The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary."

I searched in the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary and it responded "No exact match found for “rivetter” in English”.

For my money, Rivetter is not as valid.

Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 12:36:17 PM »
...and yet, there's this...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 03:59:35 PM »
Writing rivetter with a double T is accepted as a variant by Wiktionary and the Shorter Oxford. The OED dates that spelling to the 1700s and 1800s, but it is used today by some people interested in inserting rivets. For example, the Bikermart motor cycle accessories outfit in the UK offers several models of BikeIt Heavyweight Motorcycle Chain Breaker, Cutter and Rivetter Kit.

I'll add it as a rare word.

Whether it is "just as valid" as riveter probably depends on whether we regard the validity of a word as an absolute characteristic, like a driver's licence, or a matter of degree, like an argument in a debate. Discuss.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 05:24:48 PM »
Thanks Alan...