Author Topic: Monday 8 May 7-by-many JOKIEST puzzle  (Read 193 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Monday 8 May 7-by-many JOKIEST puzzle
« on: May 09, 2023, 04:20:04 PM »
JETSKI – a powered watercraft like a water-borne motorcycle (sometimes written as jet ski) https://www.wordnik.com/words/jetski
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Re: Monday 8 May 7-by-many JOKIEST puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 04:47:28 PM »
I did try JETSKI and also JETSET, but I have to admit that if using the words myself I'd make them both two words.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 01:24:14 PM »
It seems that in the US Jet Ski is a trademark, and US dictionaries write it that way: as two words and capitalized.

The single word, uncapitalized form is acknowledged by Wiktionary and the Macquarie dictionary. This variant seems to be much more prevalent in Australia and New Zealand than elsewhere, but it does occasionally appear in American and British publications.

The word can be a verb as well as a noun. For example, in a review of Prince Harry's book in the Evening Standard in January:

Indeed after his magical week in Botswana with Meghan, he heads off on a multi-phase lads trip complete with jetskiing in crocodile infested waters, bush cocktails and African beer, and “certain controlled substances”.

Jetski, jetskiing and jetskied will be accepted as rare words.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 02:51:09 PM »
Thanks Alan...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)