Author Topic: Words disallowed in NYT Spelling Bee puzzle  (Read 455 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Words disallowed in NYT Spelling Bee puzzle
« on: April 12, 2023, 12:57:08 PM »
As I've mentioned before, our 7-by-many puzzle was inspired by a New York Times puzzle called Spelling Bee. One difference, among several, is that the NY Times word list excludes non-American words, whereas I try to include words from all parts of the English-speaking world.

Lynne Murphy, aka lynneguist, has just posted about this on her blog Separated by a Common Language. Specifically, NYT Spelling Bee: an archive of disallowed BrE words. Forumites might find it interesting to look through her list. I haven't checked it out, but I suspect a few of the words listed are not currently accepted in Chi, particularly recently coined colloquialisms.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Re: Words disallowed in NYT Spelling Bee puzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 02:26:40 PM »
My eyes were drawn to the word titch, which I don't think is allowed in Chi either. Or maybe it's just rare?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 03:13:39 PM »
Yes, titch is rare, as is tich, the other spelling.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 04:31:34 PM »
A further note on titch: it was classed as common at one time but I changed it in 2009 after it was drawn to my attention that the word was virtually unknown in America.
Alan Walker

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 06:10:17 PM »
I was amused by gannet, a bird that would be known even by people with no interest in birds, refused simply because in the UK it's a slang word for a greedy person. Another reminder of how fortunate we are that Chi doesn't reject words just because they might be offensive to someone.

rallygreg

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 05:46:49 PM »
Looking at that list there are only about 4 words that I havn't tried to use in the past in CHI and I think all the words are good but many would be rare.

On a similar topic about 20 years ago I was installing a copy of Microsoft Office and was offered the choice of installing the English or British English dictionary! I wonder if the Americans understand where the language originated.

Cheers

Greg

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 05:02:35 AM »
This smug and breezily tossed off indictment of an entire country should be called out for what it is   — unabashed prejudice   
Not witty. Harmful and unworthy of the readers of these pages

Paula

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 05:31:58 AM »
This smug and breezily tossed off indictment of an entire country should be called out for what it is   — unabashed prejudice   
Not witty. Harmful and unworthy of the readers of these pages

Paula

Hear! Hear!

Interestingly, according to https://www.k-international.com/blog/countries-with-the-most-english-speakers/ the UK has only the sixth largest population (by country) of English speakers — behind USA, India, Pakistan, Philippines, and Nigeria.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 10:27:46 AM »
I wonder if the Americans understand where the language originated.

Not only a problem for Americans, I think.

Quote from: Infomedia (precised)

English is a West Germanic language in the Indo-European language family, with its earliest forms spoken by the inhabitants of early medieval England. It is named after the Angles, one of the ancient Germanic peoples that migrated to the island of Great Britain. Existing on a dialect continuum with Scots and then most closely related to the Low Saxon and Frisian languages, Modern English is genealogically Germanic. However, its vocabulary also shows major influences from (Norman) French (about 28% of English words) and Latin (also about 28%), numerous Greek borrowings, plus some grammar and a small amount of core vocabulary influenced by Old Norse (a North Germanic language). .

Early Modern English began in the late 15th century with the start of the Great Vowel Shift and the Renaissance trend of borrowing further Latin and Greek words and roots into English, concurrent with the introduction of the printing press to London. This era notably culminated in the King James Bible and the works of William Shakespeare. The printing press greatly standardized spelling across the many dialects -- spellings which are mostly unchanged since then, despite a wide variety of later sound shifts.

Modern English has spread around the world since the 17th century as a consequence of the worldwide influence of the British Empire and the United States of America. Through all types of printed and electronic media in these countries, English has become the leading language of international discourse and the lingua franca in many regions and professional contexts such as science, navigation, and law.

English is the most spoken language in the world and the third most spoken native language in the world, after Standard Chinese and Spanish. It is the most widely learned second language and is either the official language or one of the official languages in 59 sovereign states.

There are more people who have learned English as a second language than there are native speakers. As of 2005, it was estimated that there were over two billion speakers of English. English is the majority native language in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the Republic of Ireland and is widely spoken in some areas of the Caribbean, Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Oceania. It is a co-official language of the United Nations, the European Union, and many other international and regional organisations.

English is a living language and will vary over time although geographically at different rates as evidenced by spelling differences in UK and American English.

Every Country will embed their own vernacular into a local Version of English.  Written Australian English is often not well understood outside of Australasia and even less so when it is spoken with our variety of accents. 

And we come to Chihuahua English with its division of common and rare. There appears to be two specious arguments, “I have/have not heard the word before” and “The word was only used by x% of players in a particular puzzle” and therefore ought to be reclassified or excluded.

With the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job, Alan handles the few substantial, along with the many trivial and inconsequential, suggestions.

I am quite happy to stay well out of it.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 10:32:57 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 12:29:19 PM »
Well said, Jack...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 01:56:20 PM »
FWIW, my office productivity software suite (LibreOffice) offers the following versions of English:
English (Australia)
English (Belize)
English (Botswana)
English (Canada)
English (Denmark)
English (Gambia)
English (Ghana)
English (Hong Kong)
English (India)
English (Ireland)
English (Israel)
English (Jamacia)