Author Topic: AQUIVER in yesterday’s QUAVERING game  (Read 675 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
AQUIVER in yesterday’s QUAVERING game
« on: April 04, 2023, 04:28:55 PM »
I played AQUIVER and was very surprised to see it was a rare word. As the avid reader of Mills and Boon romance novels in my formative adolescent years I would have thought the word was prevalent enough in those novels alone to give it common status. Heaving bosoms and racing pulses and all aquiver with excitement and anticipation.
Surely this word should be changed to common? Could you look at it please Alan?
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: AQUIVER in yesterday’s QUAVERING game
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 06:31:14 PM »
I didn't play it but I did recognise it when I checked the solution.  Similarly structured words like atilt, atingle and astir are all rare.  Is aquiver better known than words like these?

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 07:55:49 PM »
I would argue yes.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 08:06:41 PM »
I'd say it's less well known than astir except, perhaps, for those readers of the type of books that Jackie mentioned. I know the word but I wouldn't say it's common.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 01:11:55 AM »
I'd say it's less well known than astir except, perhaps, for those readers of the type of books that Jackie mentioned. I know the word but I wouldn't say it's common.

What Pat said.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 07:38:42 AM »
Well if you know the word then that’s pretty much what is meant by a common word isn’t it? Different to never having heard or seen the word.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 08:13:41 AM »
Well if you know the word then that’s pretty much what is meant by a common word isn’t it? Different to never having heard or seen the word.

No. Just because one knows the word doesn't mean it's a common word. I'd imagine that all of us play words that we know that register as rare words, sometimes even surprising us as aquiver did you. No doubt Alan will do his usual research and make a decision.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 08:25:18 AM »
I beg to differ in this case because you and T-Rex and Morbius had all heard of the word. And me too, obviously, so in my books that’s a pretty good indication that the word is familiar to a fair proportion of people. And there’s a lot of romantic books out there!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 08:51:07 AM »
The word aquiver is one of those words whose meaning is easily enough sussed out because the word quiver is definitely common. But it isn't a word I would know was a word and I don't typically play shots in the dark (lest I'm really, really desperate). If I missed a rosette because I'd missed aquiver as a common word, I'd be dismayed.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 09:08:49 AM »
Both of us tried aquiver expecting it to be accepted. Neither of us reads Mills & Boon. In fact Ticklemonster doesn't read much at all! I'll happily accept whatever Alan decides... obviously.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 09:23:08 AM »
I'm totally with Pat and TRex on this one. There are a huge number of words that are classed as uncommon that I know perfectly well, yet I am happy for their uncommon classification to remain (well mostly). In recent 7BM I had outpoll, purpler, replot, espies, weepie, whisperer, wispier,... All of these are probably known to most players but, except perhaps for the last two, I understand why they are classed as uncommon in Chi. Another uncommon word I used, athwart, is in the same class as aquiver, yet I wouldn't argue for its reclassification on the same basis as aquiver. Because of my background in making maps,  the word replot is very common to me. Although it is probably known to most players, l well understand that the majority exposure to the word is at much lower level than mine and the uncommon classification should remain.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 08:21:09 PM »
If I missed a rosette because I'd missed aquiver as a common word, I'd be dismayed.

I think this comment sums it up nicely.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2023, 09:14:45 PM »
That’s your opinion and it differs to mine on this occasion.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 09:18:33 PM by Jacki »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 09:26:43 PM »
We all have our own opinions, Jacki, and we all know words that we're disappointed aren't classed as common. As I said before, Alan will no doubt adjudicate in his usual fair way. If he agrees to change the status of aquiver to common then you'll be pleased, some won't be pleased and some won't care either way.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 06:27:27 PM »
and some won't care either way

Me, for one!  Bovvered?   >:D