Author Topic: SUASION common?  (Read 392 times)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
SUASION common?
« on: March 29, 2023, 03:05:16 PM »
SUASION was found by only 21 of 301 players in yesterday's UNANIMOUS 7-by-many.

I'm not convinced there would be a unanimous vote to keep it as common.

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: SUASION common?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 03:08:19 PM »
What is really annoying is that I thought of it, but did not play it as I was sure it would be rare. Anyway i was two words short of a rosette in that puzzle. Lesson learned: [play anything and everything.....

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 03:40:27 PM »
I don't think there would be a plurality let alone unanimity...  >:D >:D >:D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 08:14:16 PM »
I had to press on the meaning to see what it is. Never heard of it.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 10:06:31 PM »
I'd add numinous to this query and suggest neither it or suasion should be in om the house of commons.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 02:45:54 AM »
To my mind, suasion is not common.

OTOH, numinous seems at least borderline, if not common.

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 04:53:20 AM »
Indeed

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 06:58:51 AM »
Suasion ? Now I’ve heard it I can see the logic, but it’s not common in my opinion. Think I remembered numinous from a previous puzzle - can’t say it’s in my vocabulary, even the rusty file at the very back.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 10:40:57 AM »
The term moral suasion appears in pretty much every economics textbook that covers Keynesian economics. An example from one such textbook being the use of various forms of sanction policy to dissuade powerful economic entities from misbehaving, such as, for example, threatening commercial banks with nationalisation if they charge exorbitant interest rates on domestic or small business loans.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 08:47:22 PM »
The term moral suasion appears in pretty much every economics textbook that covers Keynesian economics.

I guess that's why it's not a commonly known word!  >:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 01:57:03 PM »
Suasion seems to mean pretty much the same as the more familiar persuasion. Both words have been around since the 1300s, according to the OED. Suasion was used by Chaucer. But as far as I can see, the word suasion has been used much less often than persuasion, over the last couple of centuries at least.

As Calilasseia notes, the phrase moral suasion is sometimes used in economics, but I don't think this is enough to sustain common status for the word. Suasion will be treated as a rare word in future.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 02:06:08 PM »
Thank you Allan.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2023, 03:43:07 PM »
Roddles suggested that numinous might also be re-classified to rare.

The word was "invented" in the 1920s by a German theologian named Rudolf Otto:

For this purpose I adopt a word coined from the Latin numen. Omen has given us ominous, and there is no reason why from numen we should not similarly form a word ‘numinous’. I shall speak..of a unique ‘numinous’ category of value and of a definitely ‘numinous’ state of mind.

I put "invented" in quotes, because the word already existed as an obscure word for something that indicated the presence of the divine. Numen, which is listed in English dictionaries (and accepted in Chihuahua as a rare word), means a divinity or spirit.

In the 20th century it seems the word numinous came to be used more broadly, for anything that invoked a feeling of transcendence or awe, without necessarily having any religious or spiritual connotation. An example is the following sentence from the Age Good Weekend magazine on 25 March this year:

Most mysteries are irresistible, but there is something about the ocean, her spectral depths and numinous beauty, that makes nautical mysteries especially compelling.

Before researching it, I think I was aware of the existence of this word, without knowing quite what it meant. Does this mean it was a word known to me? In any case I doubt the word is present in all or most of our players' vocabularies, so it will be rare in future.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2023, 04:45:46 PM »
Good call, Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)