Author Topic: High Tea  (Read 385496 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: High Tea
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 07:50:40 PM »
That is really good news, i'm very very pleased to hear it.

I like the sound of your chicken dish, i might try it but with mozzarella instead of feta....
I hope everything else is okay with you?

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 07:50:54 PM »
but I can't afford to miss gym time - not long to that marathon.

so no more sitting and relaxing at 6.30 tomorrow morning!

And then, my study group buddies are all expecting a rip-roaring session at my house after class tomorrow afternoon to brainstorm the key elements of the next big essay (between us, I think the main attraction has little to do with study and a whole heap to do with the coordinated shared lunch we have once we all arrive at my home, not to mention the bottle(s) of sauvignon blanc we decimate later)...have I mentioned I love being back at Uni! This is the life.

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »
mozzarella could work, except the main attraction was that I didn't actually assemble these gourmet parcels, Wim did (at vast cost I hasten to add, but what the hell, I'm too busy studying and freaking out after the gym to do any actual hard work in the kitchen.)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2007, 08:00:09 PM »
Who cares where it came from....beans on toast is a gourmet feast if you are knackered and someone else cooked it.

I'm glad your training is going well...keep it up...

A word of warning though...some friends ran the London Marathon this year,,and gained 8 pounds in weight with all the liquids they took on board, that took a couple of weeks to get off again....so don't be too worried or starve yourself.

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2007, 08:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the ups on the weight issue. Frankly I'm amazed I've lost so much weight. Heaps of fat has been converted into muscle, and this bodes ill for all round weight loss.

But I dispute your beans on toast analogy. Yeah, stuff somebody else plans, prepares and cleans up afterwards is wonderful, but effortless gourmet stuff that tastes like it comes from a five star hotel restaurant has a je ne sais quoi quality that is even more satisfying.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2007, 08:26:06 PM »
I know this is the wrong thread, Bobbi, but since you're here, I thought I'd tell you that I've just finished "Never Let Me Go". What a brilliant book- terrifyingly possible, too. I particularly liked the way he managed to link past and present events so seamlessly.....I usually get irritated by constant flashbacks. I'm very glad I read it, but it left me rather despondent!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2007, 08:33:25 PM »
Sounds fascinating -- who wrote the book???

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »
Kazuo Ishigura (he also wrote remains of the day)
Never let me go is admittedly somewhat depressing, - but one of the best novels of the new millenium, and such good food for thought! Where indeed could genetic engineering take us. an you thought Gattica was disturbing?

Never Let Me Go is highly recommended Threeb. I suggested it some months ago and Binkie mentioned she'd put in a reserve request as a result of my recommendation at her local public library.

Glad you appreciated it Binkie. Note the careful omission of the word 'enjoyed.' Yes, it was disturbing, but it certainly honed my values. That being said, as the wife of a Type ! diabetic, I'm a big fan of genetic eingineering - all the current analogs of insulin around today have been genetically tinkered and are much improved as a result. If it weren't for the likes of Genentech, we'd not be such a happy family today.

So, off to post in the 'so long' thread, goodnight all.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2007, 08:41:53 PM »
I will definitely look it up, Bobbi. Appreciate the tip and explanation. Have a wonderful day!!

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »
Treeb...or night: it's almost 11 pm on Thursday here. Goodnight.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2007, 12:57:41 AM »
Binks, I love that you managed to find a smiley holding a spork!

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
Hi T...Are you planning on getting ANY sleep tonight?!  Aren't you  :-P yet?

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
Anonsi, I'm pleased that you're pleased, but to me it's a splade! (or splayd, if you prefer.)

When we talked about them before on the forum, was it mentioned that they're an Australian invention? Can't remember now, but in case not, here's some very valuable information :

The Difference between a Spork and Splayd
"There is a lot of confusion between a Splayd and a Spork.  The Spork is similar but does not have the cutting edge and generally has less of a fork than a Splayd."
"A magazine photo that showed women at a party awkwardly balancing cutlery and plates of food on their laps inspired William McArthur to invent the Splayd, a single-handed fork, spoon and cutting blade. From 1943 to 1967 his wife Suzanne used and sold them in her Martha Washington Café in Sydney."

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »
There's no knife part on that that I can see...so I would say it is a spork!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2007, 11:23:58 AM »
The knife part is the edge....I've had difficulty finding a close-up photo.....this is the best I can do! (and it's still a splayd)