Author Topic: Sunday 19 March 7-by-many ACCUSTOM puzzle  (Read 147 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Sunday 19 March 7-by-many ACCUSTOM puzzle
« on: March 20, 2023, 03:27:22 PM »
MOSCATO – an Italian white wine variety that is sweet and slightly sparkling - we allow riesling, shiraz and other varietals, why not moscato??? (This was a feature of our dinner at Mt Hotham on the Saturday night)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunday 19 March 7-by-many ACCUSTOM puzzle
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 02:29:19 PM »
This wine seems to have been little known in English speaking countries until 15 or so years ago, although the OED has a usage example from 1925, in Aldous Huxley's novel Those Barren Leaves:

We'll have a bottle of the sweet moscato.

The word has not made it into all English dictionaries, but it is in several of the Oxford dictionaries and Wiktionary.

With wine varieties, an issue that often looms large for some reason is whether a word is written with an initial capital letter. All the dictionaries write moscato without a capital, but publications mostly write it as Moscato. I can't see why it should be capitalised - it doesn't derive from a place name. Anyhow it is sometimes written in all lower case, so I'll accept it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Sunday 19 March 7-by-many ACCUSTOM puzzle
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 03:00:05 PM »
Thanks Alan...  :-H :-H :-H
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)