Author Topic: Shoosh  (Read 330 times)

Colhad75

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Shoosh
« on: February 23, 2023, 05:00:27 PM »
No I'm not going to be quiet about this cos I think Shoosh should be accepted. Don't tell me to shoosh over this. 😤   :-Y

Colhad75

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Shoosh
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 05:13:04 PM »
Also I'd like to put forward Goggles,  it accepts the singular Goggle but you wear a pair of Goggles, like a pair of socks, undies, trousers.  It's always the plural form, is there a case for plurals to be accepted when used in this manner?

matt

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 08:35:28 AM »
No I'm not going to be quiet about this cos I think Shoosh should be accepted. Don't tell me to shoosh over this. 😤   :-Y

From the context, you're talking about the word that I'd spell as "shush". I've never seen it spelled that way, is it a regional thing?

Matt

matt

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 11:45:01 AM »
Also I'd like to put forward Goggles,  it accepts the singular Goggle but you wear a pair of Goggles, like a pair of socks, undies, trousers.  It's always the plural form, is there a case for plurals to be accepted when used in this manner?

Goggle is a common verb so the noun Goggles will not be accepted even though it is plural-only.

Your supporting examples are not great. Sock is a verb as was the case for Goggle so Socks is disqualified. Even if it wasn't - the clothing item, although typically paired, is not a plural-only noun. The sock eating monster eats socks, but only one sock at a time!

Matt

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 04:28:02 PM »
From the context, you're talking about the word that I'd spell as "shush". I've never seen it spelled that way, is it a regional thing?

It would appear so.   Merriam-Webster and the best dictionary in the world,the Macquarie  >:D, allow both spellings.  A small selection of British dictionaries that I consulted did not acknowledge Shoosh.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 10:29:53 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Colhad75

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 06:05:22 PM »
Ohh I understand about the plurals.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 02:20:58 AM »
Merriam-Webster and the best dictionary in the world,the Macquarie  >:D, allow both spellings.  A small selection of British dictionaries that I consulted did not acknowledge Shoosh.

The best dictionary of the English language is the Oxford English Dictionary!

When I submitted 'shoosh' to the OED, it asked if I meant hoosh, skoosh, sloosh, swoosh, or whoosh. It did not recognise 'shoosh'.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 09:23:27 AM »
...and so the dictionary wars commence!!!  >:D >:D >:D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Colhad75

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 01:16:21 PM »
O always thought it was shoosh,  when telling a child to behave. Put your finger up to your mouth, shoosh boy.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 03:06:09 PM »
My sentiments exactly. Now....swoosh!  ;)
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 05:19:47 PM »
Shoosh / shush is surely an example of a word that's much more often uttered than written. Someone who has heard the word throughout childhood, with the vowel sound of good might assume it's spelled shoosh. Though if it's written shush it could still be pronounced the same, rhyming with push and bush.

Anyhow, as Ozzyjack reports some dictionaries do allow for the shoosh spelling. Another dictionary that allows that as a variant is the Canadian Oxford dictionary, though other dictionaries from the Oxford stable don't.

The shoosh variant is more likely to appear in Australia than elsewhere, though shush is also used here. And shoosh is occasionally used in British and US publications.

(An expression which I think is unique to Australia is a bit of shoosh, meaning some peace and quiet, as in this comment from Gizmodo Australia: "If you travel, commute or just like to get a bit of shoosh from time-to-time then these might be the headphones for you.")

The word can be an interjection, noun or verb. "One celebration that had Bomber fans out of their chairs was when he shooshed the crowd, raising his finger to his mouth." So I'll add shoosh, shooshes, shooshing and shooshed as rare words.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites