Author Topic: Monday 6 February 7-by-many PUNCTURE puzzle  (Read 160 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Monday 6 February 7-by-many PUNCTURE puzzle
« on: February 08, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »
PERCENTER – usually used to denote someone in a small percentage of the population e.g. billionaires are considered one or two percenters… https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/percenter
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Monday 6 February 7-by-many PUNCTURE puzzle
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 05:24:51 PM »
This is a bit like naped, that I accepted recently. It's almost always used in combination with a number: five percenter, one percenter. Hence some of the Oxford dictionaries list it with a hyphen in front, and identified as a combining form. But at the same time, some of the examples given by those dictionaries show the term used without a hyphen. And some dictionaries (Collins, Wiktionary, Dictionary.com) list it as a normal word.

Wiktionary gives a second meaning, as a slang term for an agent, but it appears they were only able to come up with one usage example, from a 1944 Billboard article, so I'd rate that usage extremely rare.

I think I should go along with the dictionaries that list it, and accept it as a rare word.

An example from the WalesOnline site in April 2022:

I just think he’s class. He’s exactly what a team needs, a hundred percenter who’s aggressive on both sides of the ball and has an all-round confrontational game that’s top-drawer.

(Quite a few recent usages in the news are referring to the Three Percenters (usually capitalised, and hence not pertinent for our purposes). This is a far right movement whose name is based on the dubious proposition that it took just three percent of the population of the American colonies to win American independence.)
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Monday 6 February 7-by-many PUNCTURE puzzle
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 11:04:42 PM »
Thanks Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)