Author Topic: Thursday 12 January 7-by-many INACTIVE/VACCINATE puzzle  (Read 157 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Thursday 12 January 7-by-many INACTIVE/VACCINATE puzzle
« on: January 13, 2023, 03:43:03 PM »
ACTINE – a star-shaped protuberance https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/actine
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thursday 12 January 7-by-many INACTIVE/VACCINATE puzzle
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 02:26:47 PM »
I'm not persuaded to accept this one. True, it's in Merriam-Webster - although with a note saying that it's not one of the 200,000 entries in the free online dictionary, but is only found in the unabridged edition. However, the very few examples I found in the corpora I normally use seemed to be misspelling the protein actin (which is already accepted in Chi).

Actine is also in the OED, with two examples from very old editions of the Encyclopedia Britannica and one more recent quote from the scientific journal Micron.

I feel the word is too technical and obscure.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Thursday 12 January 7-by-many INACTIVE/VACCINATE puzzle
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 02:44:47 PM »
Fair call, thanks anyway, Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)