Author Topic: Wednesday 4 January 7-by-many puzzle  (Read 162 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Wednesday 4 January 7-by-many puzzle
« on: January 05, 2023, 04:04:36 PM »
COEFFICIENCIES – plural form of coefficiency https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/coefficiency potential (rare) seed word...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Re: Wednesday 4 January 7-by-many puzzle
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 07:48:41 PM »
You beat me to it.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 12:21:30 PM »
No, I'm sorry, but nothing doing.

Wiktionary has an entry sourced from a 110-year old enormous dictionary, with one usage example, from the 1660s. The OED also has an entry, with the same quote from the 17th century. But in the OED the word is hyphenated.

Are there examples from more recent times of the use of the word coefficiency? Yes, there are a few. But every single one, as far as I can see, is mistaken, where coefficient is meant. In the News on the Web corpus there are mentions of "drag coefficiency" - that should be drag coefficient. Likewise "correlation coefficiency", "coefficiency of performance" and "Gini coefficiency". There are no examples of the plural coefficiencies.

I'll take the OED's word for it that coefficiency is a word (with a meaning different from coefficient). But it's so dated and obscure that nothing would be achieved by adding it to Chihuahua.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 02:58:15 PM »
Fair cop... Thanks anyway, Alan (you've changed your picture!!!  :o :o :o )
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)