Author Topic: Maneuver  (Read 259 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Maneuver
« on: December 31, 2022, 09:57:37 PM »
I was surprised to see maneuver as a seed word in yesterday's 7-by-many. Mention of this word (vs manoeuvre) was made by TRex in this thread https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php?topic=3106.msg50691#msg50691 and I agree with him that when the spelling of a word is significantly different between countries (as opposed to words ending in ise/ize) then that word shouldn't be a seed word.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: Maneuver
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 08:45:04 AM »
I was surprised to see maneuver as a seed word in yesterday's 7-by-many. Mention of this word (vs manoeuvre) was made by TRex in this thread https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php?topic=3106.msg50691#msg50691 and I agree with him that when the spelling of a word is significantly different between countries (as opposed to words ending in ise/ize) then that word shouldn't be a seed word.
Wow, Pat — that was seven and one-half years ago and I forgot I wrote that! Amazing memory!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 10:16:05 AM »
Amazing memory I wish, TRex. I found the post when I searched to see if maneuver had been raised previously!

Good to see you posting, though. I hope that means things are improving for you and continue to do so into the new year.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 02:47:18 PM »
I agree.

There are quite a few related words that are classed as common, and will in future be rare:

MANEUVER
MANEUVERED
MANEUVERING
MANEUVERABLE
MANEUVERABILITY
MANOEUVRE
MANOEUVRED
MANOEUVRING
MANOEUVRABLE
MANOEUVRABILITY

Some of these, of course, would never appear in any puzzle anyway.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 11:39:24 PM »
Good decision, Alan. Thank you.